Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......before the LA trip! :wink:

Just had to get one more hunt in before leaving for the dining/hunting adventure at Noodle's place in Louisiana Friday. Terri and I had agreed to meet at a ballpark that we had not hunted as of yet. I drive up and she's sitting in her car. I see this disappointed look on her face. Roll the window down and ask what's wrong. She points up the road, I look, and see that there is a gate and it's locked. :-\ I said, "OK, what's plan B?" :icon_pirat: She says, "I don't have one!" :P Then we start rolling ideas around and decided to get permission to hunt a tear down that we've been meaning to get to. Find the owner, get permission and get to hunting. If you've ever hunted a place that has just been torn down, then you know what a mess everything is. So I start looking for those areas that haven't been disturbed by the dozer. After about 30 minutes, I settle on a spot. Found a tax token, a few pieces of change, a key, a Chinese cash coin, miner's tag and a button with a 'P". Decided to move over a bit and found NINE more tax tokens! :P :D Finding ten tax tokens in one day is a record for me! :D I scoot down a little and find a merc. Good deal, I thought. Move on up and find a wheat and a rosie.
At the end of our hunts we always empty our pockets and share what we've found for the day. I went to take some site pics (which have gone into space somewhere, I can't find them on my computer) :'( When I get back, Terri says, "Hey, your merc is 1916 and your rosie is a 46." "Well, neat," I say, and we get into our cars and head for home. Now the second she said 1916, I'm thinking, "I know I've read on Tnet many times about the 1916 being a special coin, if it has a certain mint mark." I'm twenty minutes away from home and the closer I get, the faster I get! :D I'm about to die to know if I've found an extra special keeper! :D I finally get home and Charlie meets me as I drive up and get out. I'm so excited and head straight for the magnifying glass and coin book! ;D Here's what I found....
100_0954.jpg

100_0973.jpg
Well... :-\ But the trip home was exciting! :D
100_0974.jpg

Need a bit of help on the 'P" button and the Chinese coin if ya got anything. :)

100_0981.jpg

100_0984.jpg

100_0976.jpg

Thanks, and hope you all have a great week! Nana :)

Upvote 0

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Cool digs, Nana!

Too bad no 'D' on your merc, and too bad all those tax tokens came one day too late to file them with your taxes. ::)

Anyway, your Chinese cash coin is from the Chien-Lung period, circa 1736-1796.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Kick A$$ as always Nana. Can you give me a fifteen minute or so head start when detecting in LA? Please? :tard:

:icon_pirat:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and what a rush!!! To bad there is no D on the back, LOL. Have fun at the LA hunt and take lots of pictures. HH, Mike

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana,
Some very nice finds girl!!! My heart would be racing too if I dug a 1916 Merc. :o I love that button you found. :thumbsup:
Have fun in LA, and be sure to hook up with Captn Dan for a silver hunt. ;D :wink:
-MM-

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice looking Merc Nana. Good work.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana, very good mix of finds, including your P button (Police). Have a good time on the trip. :)

Don

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nana does it again :thumbsup:

Neat bunch o'finds Nana, those 1916 Mercs are coming out everywhere lately..the chances of finding the rare one is against us MDers, but you never know..it's happened before so just keep on swingin'! Have fun in LA!

Nat

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's really kool stuff, Nana! I found that same exact button here in Marshall, Texas a few years back, across the street from the Post Office. (As if everybody knows where that is). Does anyone know what the button was attached to? With all those tax tokens, it seems the ex owners must have been way overtaxed.

P

Pentico

Nana,
Awesome finds and awesome day!
Love to read your posts, congrads!
We have a Chinese coin like the one you found.
No idea about it but it is a cool find!
Chris & LeeAnn

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana....thanks for sharing. That Merc is a good example of the roller coaster ride that detecting can toke you on....Good luck in La on your hunt this weekend...Steve

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Looks like you got a very nice head start on the hunt! Awesome finds pretty lady! love the merc! Have fun at the hunt and eat a helping of gumbo and cheesecake for me......ah poo! the rest looks good too....have some of it all for me! lol Gracious i am gonna gain a lot of weight with all you guys are eatin for me! :tongue3:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how you were feeling with that 16 dime. I pulled one out and started shaking and trembling. Had to take a few breathes
before I turned it over... Only to see a mint mark... More shaking going on.... Turned out to be an S
Great hunt

Good Luck in LA...

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Posting more junk I see Nana ::) :wink: :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

When I walk up to you in LA and rub your belly don't let your A$$ beat me up! It's for luck not harrasssment or anything. :wink: ;D ;D ;D ;D :D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super sweet finds, Nana. I hear you're going to pick strawberries today. Knowing you, you will detect the field while picking. :sign10: :sign10: I keep telling my brother I plan to detect when the fields are prepared for the next crop, these same field have had berries since the 20's. But, JC says if I find anything good it's his. ::)

See ya tomorrow...safe driving!!

:wink: RR

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana, great stuff!

Don't use up ALL that Karma before you get to LA :D

Good luck & keep safe!
watercolor

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Nana,

You are the tax token queen for sure. You get one on every hunt. Must have been a popular token in your neck of the woods. Have a nice trip. I hope you score big.

I'm leaving tonight for OH for the 3rd annual DFX only hunt. Had a nice time last yr. Gonna go see Danimal Mirage and a bunch of others. Can't wait to pack and leave tonight. Talk with you all next week.

HH Jer

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! I sure missed a great hunt! That Chinese coin has me baffled. Way too old for that area and no Chinese workers here. I wonder what the story is on that one?
Very strange and erie that yesterday evening (probably about the time you were looking thru the magnifying glass) I decided to look up my 1919 merc and saw that the 1916D was very rare! When I read your post I got goose bumps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread