Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mean who was the last known survivor? How old he was? And when did he die? Probably easy enough to Google if that is what you are looking for?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Life and the Civil War
Last Union & Confederate Veterans

Considered by some to be somewhat ancient history, many react with surprise to learn that not too long ago, the last known surviving Union and Confederate veterans passed away. To your right is pictured a monument that rests under the shade of the trees in Ziegler's Grove, site of intense fighting on July 3, 1863, just north of the Angle and the Copse of Trees along Cemetery Ridge. The monument to the old veteran reads simply, "Senior Vice-Commander-in-Chief of the G.A.R. Albert Woolson of Duluth Minnesota the last survivor." Woolson did not fight at Gettysburg due to enlisting at the age of 17 in 1864, over a year after the battle was fought. He died at the age of 109 in August of 1956. [39]

A few years later, the last Confederate Veteran also passed on. The monument to the Soldiers and Sailors of the Confederacy, shown on your left, claims that Walter Williams was the last surviving Confederate veteran, passing on December 19, 1959 at the age of 117 years. Some have recently disputed Mr. Williams' claim, saying that John B. Salling of the 25th Virginia was actually the last surviving veteran, passing the same year at the age of 112. [E] Click here to listen to a recorded interview with Mr. Salling as he discusses his experiences during the war (scroll down to Document 7).

Even more surprising is the revelation that widows of veterans of the late unpleasantness survived for many more decades. In this news report from the Gettysburg Times, in July of 1997, two Civil War widows attended the re-interment of a soldier whose remains were found on the Gettysburg Battlefield. Click here to view the article from the Gettysburg Times which includes pictures of the two widows.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What I am looking for is the age of the last man KILLED in battle in the CivilWar! I have since found out that the last battle was in Texas. I am working on the name of the battle and possibly his name, but I don't know if it exist.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Private John J. Williams of the 34th Indiana Volunteer Infantry was the last man killed at the Battle at Palmito Ranch, and likely the last man to die in the Civil War. Born in 1843, died May 13 1865, age 21 or 22.

Google the info and you'll get several hits if this is what you are looking for.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
My g'g'g'pa,born in 1836,took three mini balls at the Battle of Lonejack.He still had them in him when he died in 1931,so guess they finally got him at the age of 96.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Thanks Diggin, that looks like what I want. I thought he would be younger.Hay I looked it up like you said. The Confederates won that one also, but it must have been a hollow victory!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions