last nights, midnight hunt

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
well i started off at the town hall, just before midnight and i had only found a few pennies, when i decided to sneak around the front, since all was quiet and there didn't seem seem to be too much traffic at the time, i had just bent down and started to dig a signal, when all of a sudden the church bells next door started going off, boy that woke me right up, i quickly dug up the hanger type thing and made tracks for the shadows.
after about an hour or so of nothing but trash, i was getting discouraged when i got a signal beside the church, i had cut the plug and as i pryed it up 2 dimes popped right out and landed into my other hand and after rechecking the hole i realized that there were a stack of seven more dimes sticking out of the side of the plug ( for a total of 9 dimes in one hole ), Yahoo thats a first for me, nothing that old though 1968 - 1983, i also found a few long tent spikes there.

then i tried at the playground at the elementary school for about a half hour and got skunked in more ways than one, i didn't get sprayed but the smell was so strong i had to gave up there, besides i didn't want to meet the skunk face to face. so i went to a nearby middle school and found a little more clad and called it a night.

around here, all of the schools playgrounds have been reconditioned with wood chips with rubber matting underneath and all the fields have been resurfaced with loom and sod, i wasn't too supprised i didn't find much at them :( . but i did a good job of clearing out all the trash, foil, pulltabs and bottle caps ;) .

if anyone knows what the hanger type thing is let me know, i can't figure out what it was.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 522
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 518
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 522
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 509
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 510
Upvote 0
T

tank

drill a hole in your maple tree, stick your hook thingy in with the hook down and faceing away from the tree,the sap runs out the tube and into the bucket you hung from the hook, boil and pour on pancakes!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Yeah, I guess they get maple syrup from the trees in Maine too, but the really good stuff comes from Vermont. Of course, the Lobsters are not too good from Vermont (quite dry)....Congrats...Lance

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds - BUT- Don't you think if you have to sneak around to detect then maybe you are doing something wrong? There are a lot of old places I would like to detect but haven't received permission yet so I don't.

It just sounds wrong to me to have to go late at night and hide in the bushes when someone comes by or the church bells ring. Maybe someone is trying to tell you something.

Just my opinion

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
NO, i don't think that i am doing anything wrong >:( , as there are no town ordinances or laws against metal detecting on town propery, or the schools grounds. besides who said that i didn't have permision. i always ask first, i just don't say when i will be doing it. i'd just prefer to go unseen, besides with looks like mine... ( women quiver, men cower, and children cry ;) ). also tourists gawk and ask too many stupid questions ;D .

thanks for the input guys. i hadn't even thought of a suryp tap, thats probably just what it is. i was thinking it was some type of gutter hanger or something :-[ , what a sap i am :D

Pat.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Finds PAT.

? You DO have a Strange town There Tho.

? Last time They Rang the CHURCH BELLS after 5PM Around here

EVERYONE COMPLAINED, and they had to Stop.? ;D

? ? ? ? " midnight " ?

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
Geez, I hope you did'nt pi-s off god or anything. I agree thats a maple tap, I used some like this last spring.

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
well i guess the houses are just far enough away from the church as not to bother anyone, but the horns on the local fire houses are enough to make you jump out of your skin if your near them when they go off.

as for upsetting the big man..... hummm..... i guess heaven doesn't want me, and hells afraid i'm gonna take over ;D .

Pat.

lets_go

Dec 29, 2004
Wyandotte, Michigan
I know what you mean about gawkers. Every time I go out detecting I get people honking, yelling out their car windows and asking questions can't hardly detect with that going on. Nice work.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds - funny story!

HH

Lonewolfe

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
Strange town if your allowed to hunt at city hall, if you do that around here and get caught its at least a 50 dollar fine and they can take your detector away from you. So I'd be carefull about where and when you hunt, like said previously there are a lot of places to go that are legal. Doing things tearing up public or private property only gives md'ing a bad name and stops a lot of people from giving permission to hunt on their property.

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Bob B, like i had said previously, NO it is NOT illegal around here to MD on town and school properties, and YES i did ask permission first, and furthermore... NO i do not tear up anything >:( , maybe thats how you dig your finds :P , but most folks on here are very conscious about replacing our plugs and covering our tracks, next time don't be so quick to judge that which you know nothing about >:( .

sorry folks, i didn't mean to rant but some folks are just asking for it ( dam trouble makers )

Pat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread