Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one did not come out all that great. I need to experiment with my camera to get the lighting, focus, etc right. You can not tell it from looking at this picture, but this coin has full Liberty and there is very little wear on the feathers or ribbon. The coin looks like it saw very little circulation, and came out of the ground with only very minor dried dirt on it. There is no corrosion whatsoever, and if you were to see the coin in person, you would swear the original mint luster is still there. This was my third big find. It was found at foundation hole way back in the woods, in Dutchess County, NY. I had finally upgraded from the 1 D/B to the 6000 Di.

Anthony

Attachments

• 1871rev.JPG
    1871rev.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 484
  • 1871.jpg
    1871.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 477
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T_M, it's an Indian Head

OP
OP
D

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea, this ones an 1871 Indian head. Like I said, I need to do some experimenting with my new camera. These are the first three times I tried photographing my coins, and the pictures do not do the coins justice. They really are in alot better shape then the pics indicate. As a coin collector with 25 years experience, I would honestly grade this Indian Head in XF condition, with small dried dirt deposits. I should probably try running it under water to get that dried dirt off, but I was brought up to not clean coins, so this is the condition it came out of the ground in. I tried using the zoom on the camera with a magnifying glass in front of the camera lens. Is there a better way to take photos of coins?

Anthony

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Here's one method-try taking it ouside in natural light and use black background. If yoour camera has macro use it close w/camera braced If not get as close as can w/good focus then take pic. Afterwards you can edit pic in camera by reviewing it and then use zoom to enlarge and trim pic. Or at least I can w/mine, a Samsung Digimax 301 about $115 at Wal-mart. Hope I could help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread