Last two hunts 6/6 and 5/23

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Got out with my Dad and a couple local hunters today... what a crazy day with the sun/rain/sun/tornado/sun weather we were having.

Went to an home site, and local park. Once I got some confidence with my detector (after turning it on), I got my first target at the home site.. a copper kids ring like my dad pictured in his post. Next target was my first wheatie (1924). Wish I could have gridded this place longer as the targets were ringing true pretty easily, but the clouds of doom were rolling in. After ducking into a McD's just before the megastorm hit, we went back out to the park and started looking for loot. I was having a little trouble finding anything... most signals I was getting were just falsing because I had my sensitivity too high. Once I starting finding targets, I turned down my sensitivity and then just played the waiting game. Not much happening until I heard a high WEEEEEP! It was definitely going to be a dime... out popped the 1949 Rosie from 4". Two feet away from that was the 1979 clad half dollar.... only my 2nd clad half ever found. What a great signal that was... like a slightly less ferrous quarter tone. The calculator tag was a great signal... too bad it was missing a calculator.

06062010.jpg

So two weekends ago my Dad and I got out to one of the smaller chicago city parks, and did not find much until we got to one end of the park... wheaties started popping out like crazy. After I had maybe 6 or 7 wheats and no silver my dad wanted to check out other parts of the park. I reluctantly left my honey hole... and after 30 minutes of trudging through blistering heat and sun with not even a clad coin... I said, screw this, I'll meet you back at my honey hole! Hah. So I hike back there with my detector over my shoulder, and as soon as I pop it on and swing I had a wheatie. Two feet from that I had another! I called my dad and said, get BACK HERE! Before he got back I had found a 5 wheatie coin spill, and later a two wheatie spill. The last signal before we were going to have to go, and it's just the best dime signal I've heard all day. It just happened to be right near where I left the honey hole earlier that morning... that would have sucked to not have made it back there and missed it. So after 17 wheaties in a row in one day, I finally pulled some silver... It turned out to be a nice 1936 Merc!

05232010.jpg

Thanks for lookin! Hope you guys are breaking last year's records! Happy hunting!!!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Hey, it was nice that you finally got out to play today. Congrats on getting the silver after I left.

Yeah, and thanks for reminding me about the city hunt. The one I was trying to forget about.
The one at my childhood park, that I used to cruise through on my Schwinn Stingray. The one
that I couldn't even score a wheatie at... yeah that one. :laughing7:

Nice pocketful of wheats and Merc! :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Well off to the mill with all that wheat,
Now you can have some bread with your meat.

Nice loot!

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
litefire56 said:
Yeah, and thanks for reminding me about the city hunt. The one I was trying to forget about.
The one at my childhood park, that I used to cruise through on my Schwinn Stingray. The one
that I couldn't even score a wheatie at... yeah that one. :laughing7:

Bet you never thought while riding that Stingray through there that your future son would be King of the Park :icon_king:

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul at the park Brett!! Schwinn Stingray brings back some good memories .

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way Cool Digs My Good Man ...

Way Cool ... 8)

~ Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread