Last Weeks Finds. Overdue Post!

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Sorry I haven't been posting my finds lately. Figured I would throw all of last weeks finds into one post and share it with all of you.

Tuesday?

Got out early last week with TF. After almost all day of hunting, I squeaked out a few wheaties, a couple of buffalo's, and right at the end a 1939 Merc.

Friday

Friday rolled around and L4S and I got out. Within the first half hour of the first place we went to I dug a 1918 Merc and a few feet away a 1914 BQ. After 2 hours or so and a few wheaties we packed up and decided to check out another spot. After spending a few hours I finally hit pay dirt. Right up against the trunk of a smaller tree, I got a bouncing dime quarter signal, popped the plug and pinpointed another 1914 BQ. Got L4S on the phone to let him know where I was at. As the phone was ringing I probed the hole again and pinpointed on a 1919 Merc.

After telling him where I was at, I got up to scan the hole again and the there was still something in the hole. This time the signal was broken up and bouncing from quarter all the way down to nickel. After taking a few more shovels full of dirt out and as L4S was walking up, I probed the hole again and pulled another BQ out. This time a 1916. Stuck the pin pointer in the hole and it was detecting another target. Scooped some more dirt out and was pleased with a 1920 Merc followed by a 1909 V nickel and finally a wheatie. What a pocket spill!

Sunday

Final hunt for the week came yesterday. L4S and I picked up Kermit and we set out for a grove that has given up a ton of goodies already this year. Our original intentions where to do some Morel hunting but that soon turned into a full fledged dirt hunting expedition. After a few hours of nothing and watching L4S get on board first, I drifted away from the pack to explore some places I had never been before.

After about an hour I came up on this small section of woods that was slightly higher than its surroundings and bordered by trails. First target in this little section was a 1919 wheatie. Sweet! This is could be an old spot. A few minutes later, I get this really nasty quarter-iron null signal. It was more high tone than iron null so I figured what the hell, I'll dig it. After popping plug and digging down about 4-5 inches I came to realize that the target was under a huge root. Dug deeper on both sides of the root and pushed the center dirt to one side, grabbed a handful of dirt and in my hand I was holding my first large cent! After cleaning it up a bit, I could see full "Liberty" and a date of 1845. I was shocked. It never even crossed my mind I could be digging a LC. This is my oldest coin, yet.

The rest of the hunt was pretty much uneventful for me save for a few more wheaties and another V, but I did get to see TF finally break into the 1800s silver club. Congrats again, TF, and I'm glad we got that on video! L4S had an awesome multi-silver day as well. Congrats to you too, bud!

HH!

IMG_4070.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Suweeet!

Ah the smell of LC in the morning. Smells like.. dirty copper.

Another day, another first.... Great hunting Dan!

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without a doubt a superior assortment my good man ... :icon_thumright:

All the coins are superb, however your excellent skills are evident by the large cent alone ... :notworthy:

Your perseverance is a virtue ... Congratulations & Bravo ...

~ Al

OP
OP
d-dub

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Thanks guys!

@Al - There is something oddly familiar around here but I just can't place my finger, errr, detector over it?!?!?!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, Dan, Dan. . . what can I say but. . . MOST EXCELLENT :thumbsup:
(and for the rest of that silver lot too!)

Your 1845 LC holds a special place in my heart. . . that's the same date as
the FIRST one I found last fall.

Here's hoping for a few more for all this year :icon_sunny:

Sweet hunt!

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Way to really clean up on the silver! 3 nice barber quarters....Wow! Congrats on the LC also.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Great finds!!!! and best of all the Large Cent... I hope you haven't found my spot cuz those look a lot like recent finds I've been having...

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a superb bunch of finds!

I think you found MY spot...
only I haven't found it yet myself.

think I gotta get out of here
a deedle eedle ooo do dooo