KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any clock guys around here?

I had to have this clock, I don't know why, just appealed to me for some reason. I don't know diddly about old clocks.
And most likely paid too much.

I am hoping my watch guy can find some hands and get it running for me.

s-l1600O0MwCDHZR.jpg

In the world of clock collectors, do they like original patina, or should this be buffed up some?

Thanks in advance

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT remove the patina it will lower its value. I like the Fox because they look like my dogs. Are their any makers marks on the clock or mechanisms?

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
As a beginning watch collector and assuming there are crossover similarities, you are going to have to find the correct hands to the clock or a real collector, looking for that piece, is going to know they are incorrect and were just put onto the watch to suffice and it will effect the value on a re-sale. You need to start doing some research, or be prepared to pay your watch guy to put his time into it. Probably you already knew this, but hope it helps.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Similarly,I have an inherited pocket watch with a cracked crystal.I was quoted about $200 for an 'original' replacement; otherwise, the watch would have minimal value. Not wanting to sell it, the watch, with its cracked crystal, I still have.
Don......

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT remove the patina it will lower its value. I like the Fox because they look like my dogs. Are their any makers marks on the clock or mechanisms?

Have yet to find any maker marks. I like the patina, and am happy to leave as is.

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a beginning watch collector and assuming there are crossover similarities, you are going to have to find the correct hands to the clock or a real collector, looking for that piece, is going to know they are incorrect and were just put onto the watch to suffice and it will effect the value on a re-sale. You need to start doing some research, or be prepared to pay your watch guy to put his time into it. Probably you already knew this, but hope it helps.

I too, am a beginner watch collector, and am aware of the issues and prices. I am currently getting an old Cyma watch fixed, and a Waltham pocket watch, looking at $250+ each. It's only the family connection with these that I am prepared to get them fixed

The movement in this clock appears to be very similar to a pocket watch, may even be one. Looking forward to what my watch guy has to say.

The thing that made me give this clock some extra consideration, was the fox theme. I could be wrong, but I seem to have noticed a real trend and following for the Victorian era fox related collectables.

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the size? Can u take a picture of the movement?

Here is a pic of the movement, very basic looking.
The size of the clock is around 35cm tall, the movement is around an average size pocket watch movement.
Untitleffd.jpg

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rooster and the fox , an Aesop fable! Very nice, I'm guessing it's French, but other than that no idea as to value. I like it though.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say French as well, that looks like an imported Swiss movement for sure. Not sure what you paid but I think this would do well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread