Late 18th Early 19th Century Brass ornamental things?

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found the bottom one, with the maker's mark, about a year ago. Then, found the upper one, yesterday. Pretty much everything on the site is late 18th early 19th c. The first one I thought might be like an ornamental brass from a musket, but the new one shows that there were two rectangular voids or notches, and now I can see they were on the first one, as well.

I did't lose any sleep pondering the first one, but now that I have found two, I'm curious.

Any ideas? Thanks!

gun plates.jpg

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The top relic looks to be furniture hardware of some sort, due to the nail/screw hole. :thumbsup:
It also looks to have suffered surface damage due to fire... did the house on site burn?

The bottom button fragment looks to be cast tombac, probably dates to the early 19thc.

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The top relic looks to be furniture hardware of some sort, due to the nail/screw hole. :thumbsup:
It also looks to have suffered surface damage due to fire... did the house on site burn?

The bottom button fragment looks to be cast tombac, probably dates to the early 19thc.

Dave

Thanks, Dave! I was wondering about the construction of that button. "Cast tombac" makes sense. I've never found another one like that, so it kills me that it's broken.

The other things remain a mystery (there are two of them). But, I think you are right. They're probably backing plates or something like that. I'll look at some furniture pictures.

I don't think the house burned, but the fields have had burn piles over the years and if the object had been near the surface, it definitely could have suffered burn damage.

Thanks, again.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread