Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the third time in a month, my prospecting trip ended before it started. This time, when Karen hit the ignition key, all the solenoid would do is chatter. I hooked up a charger, got it running and heard a noise (front chain tensioner) that is noisy only when warm...and it was cold. :BangHead: The battery isn't that old, seems to lose a charge too quickly and the seller (NAPA) doesn't even have a hydrometer to test cells. So I unloaded the truck and charged it over night and took it to my mechanic who does have a hydrometer. He gets the cover off the battery and goes uh oh. What??? The battery is not maintenance free, it is maintenance impossible. It's sealed and you can't get the top off at all! :BangHead: BUT, he did find the ground cable was loose while servicing the battery and it seemed to help. I made an appointment for the tensioner on the 10th .

While Karen was all for replacing the battery, I found something much better. It is a must have for the deep woods excursions we do with no cell service most of the time. Not to mention the power outages we get that aren't quite bad enough to fire up the generator.

battery jumper.jpg

$69.97 @ WalMart. It has a light (or strobe), jumper cables carrying 600 cranking amps, battery charger, an air compressor, two 12 volt plug ins (one has a usb charge adapter) and a 200 watt AC inverter...enough to run both of my pumps and a one year guarantee. :thumbsup: Not sure how long it will last under constant use.

Problems solved. :hello2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Good choice. We carry units much like that in our Argos (now switched to polaris ranger 6x6) when hunting or exploring the back country. We often end up 20ish miles back in the middle of nowhere and when alone it would be a long walk out...

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Jeff, I had the same ideal and bought a CAT brand with 200 inverter. When I tried my pump in the 110, the built in breaker would trip. After reading the fine print in the manual, the max draw was 1.5 amps. I hope this is not the case with your.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The most important pump to me would be my 2200gph which is already 12 DC and if I use it with the high banker, (it draws 10 amps in DC) it may work longer or better. A drive way test is definitely in order prior to any departure. Thanks!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Handy tool! Probably charge a phone for a month!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
UPDATE!

Rating reduced to zero stars. Just went to use it and the compressor took forever to get to 60 #'s, kicked out and that was it. Returned to Walmart. Once again, if it does many things, it does none well.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, I think that statement is also the definition of a Politician
I'm still in SoCal trying to keep this company going though earlier this week the motor or the motor controller failed on the extruder. I brought in electricians to install the spare motor though it turns out that the 'spare' only runs on 440 volts and we have 208. Now trying to purchase new motor and controller.

Yesterday I purchased a new camp chair from REI in preparation for this summer, hope I get to use it out there. Sounds like all of us will just keep plugging away on what we must get done......................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That reminds me of my first and only attempt to repair my well. When I could not, I told the electrician "I don't understand why it won't work. I tested everything and it all reads 110 volts." Electrician: "That's because the well requires 220". :BangHead:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too funny Jeff!

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
if you dont have a good connection to the battery terminals ( ground or positive) your alternator wont charge the battery properly. you may have enough connection to use the battery, but not enough to charge it. has happened to me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread