Latest attack on a miner

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About three weeks ago a M.E.G on the way to his claim, without lawful warrant, and failure to declare a lawful probable cause, was impeded and physically injured by Oregon State Police. The encounter resulting in his prospecting and mining tools being taken and then being charged for their return. Formal criminal complaint has been file with county sheriff against OSP Officer, and others involved, for atleast theft of private property and extortion.

More information to be shared on this situation as it develops.

Upvote 0

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is indeed true , then there should be justice . I wonder if there were any witnesses to this event . So many times things like this are shoved under the rug , because no one is willing to step forward .

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oregon State Police huh? After watching the Lavoy Finnicum ambush he's lucky he wasn't shot!

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Oregon State Police huh? After watching the Lavoy Finnicum ambush he's lucky he wasn't shot!

"without lawful warrant, and failure to declare a lawful probable cause, was impeded and physically injured by Oregon State Police. The encounter resulting in his prospecting and mining tools being taken" Sounds like "Ambush" with injury, to me. Feds, OSP the new Gestapo
th

th

The Gestapo’s greatest weapon was the fear that it created.

Last edited:

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't Oregon the same state that doesn't even have enough law enforcement officers to respond to actual emergencies?!
Why are they wasting their time, and citizens' tax dollars on this?

If it was a mistake, well, those do sometimes happen.
Doesn't sound like one though.

OP
OP
M.E.G.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"without lawful warrant, and failure to declare a lawful probable cause"

ORS 181.400:

§ 181.400¹
Interference with personal and property rights of others
No member of the state police shall in any way interfere with the rights or property of any person, except for the prevention of crime, or the capture or arrest of persons committing crimes. [Amended by 1971 c.467 §25; 1991 c.145 §1]

OP
OP
M.E.G.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"was impeded"

ORS 517.128

§ 517.128¹
Restricting access to open mining area or mining claim prohibited
A person may not attempt to restrict access to any open mining area or valid mining claim or to harass or interfere in any way with a person engaged in lawful mining activities. [1999 c.354 §4]

Note: See note under 517.120 (Definitions for ORS 517.120 to 517.133).se

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Section 242 of Title 18 makes it a crime for a person acting under color of any law to willfully deprive a person of a right or privilege protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States. For the purpose of Section 242, acts under "color of law" include acts not only done by federal, state, or local officials within the their lawful authority, but also acts done beyond the bounds of that official's lawful authority, if the acts are done while the official is purporting to or pretending to act in the performance of his/her official duties. Persons acting under color of law within the meaning of this statute include police officers, prisons guards and other law enforcement officials, as well as judges, care providers in public health facilities, and others who are acting as public officials. It is not necessary that the crime be motivated by animus toward the race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin of the victim.
The offense is punishable by a range of imprisonment up to a life term, or the death penalty, depending upon the circumstances of the crime, and the resulting injury, if any

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why Todd Hoffman went to the Yukon to mine.

I;m not thinking he was that smart , just saying , he has'nt hit the ball out of the park . JMHO

OP
OP
M.E.G.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Formal criminal complaint has been file with county sheriff against OSP Officer, and others involved, for atleast theft of private property and extortion.

Last night at the JMD meeting it was said the sheriff has not replied to the criminal complaint as of yet. May be interesting to note, this sheriff is a former Oregon State Police officer.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Last night at the JMD meeting it was said the sheriff has not replied to the criminal complaint as of yet. May be interesting to note, this sheriff is a former Oregon State Police officer.

Now that reminds me of Placer County Sheriff...:BangHead:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Nothing surprises me anymore concerning our government, the other sheriff that refused to do his job was former BLM.

OP
OP
M.E.G.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About three weeks ago a M.E.G on the way to his claim, without lawful warrant, and failure to declare a lawful probable cause, was impeded and physically injured by Oregon State Police.

The mineral estate (mining claim) of the M.E.G. above just happens to be in a hot bed of environmentalist activity. The environmentalist attempts over many years to run the miners out that particular area so that a boarding wilderness area can be expanded over another ridge or so, has met with a lot of resistance from a few remaining, this M.E.G. and his co-owning being one. There has already been many just walking away from protecting their properties because of the weight of harassment, theft of, and damage to their tools when away. There only be this M.E.G., a co-owner, and less than half dozen property owners seeming to remain steadfast.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have watched the transformation of the land status of this area since the 1950's and admire your and the others courage and steadfastness in holding your ground and standing up for your rights under the law. You guys are truly a bulwark of defense against the aggressors that are attacking all of our mining interests. It is my sincere hope that you will be enriched with happiness as well as gold.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Isn't Oregon the same state that doesn't even have enough law enforcement officers to respond to actual emergencies?!
Why are they wasting their time, and citizens' tax dollars on this?

If it was a mistake, well, those do sometimes happen.
Doesn't sound like one though.

The police in Oregon are a joke! I lived in Portland in my twenties. I had some a** clowns drive by and smash out one of the windows on my roommates car. We jumped in other car and followed them. They figured we were following them. We followed them into dead end( big mistake) they jumped out of truck 2 had bats and one a handgun. We got the f out of there as quick as possible, but not before we got there license plate # after calling police. And waiting over a hour while the truck drove past our house several times. The police acted like we were in the wrong! We gave them the license plate, they ran it said "the trucks registered in Eugene so there's nothing we can do" I asked wtf dose that mean? So if I want to commit a crime I should just go out of town and it's all good? After 30 minutes of arguing I told them just get out of my house.
Sorry that this story is off mining subject. I just wanted to show how criminals are treated better then hard working tax payers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread