Latest finds Old Santa Fe Trail, NM

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been swinging on the old trail again. In the Glorieta Pass area of NM. Finds are from 2 days worth. These shells, bullets & button are worth showing. Found the usual nails, screws, pieces of metal,chain,horse shoes, old cans. Most of the shells are not marked. The copper looking ones are marked Rem-UMC 25-20, One is marked U.M.C. 45 colt. The bullets sure look like Civil war time era. The button is backmarked Scovell Co. with 3 stars.

Upvote 10

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
UMC "Union Metallic Cartridge Co" is from 1867-1911, in 1911 Remington and UMC joined together to make "REM-UMC", most of these cartridges are from around 1911-1960's. Also, I love the Civil War era eagle button. Anyways, Cool Finds.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice relics , thanks for the post =)

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
The Civil War was fought in 10,000 documented sites including battles, skirmishes, etc. and New Mexico was one of them. :icon_thumleft: Cool deal. If you can remember exactly where you found the old bullets and button, I would go back and really scan the ground

OP
OP
Lamy Lineman

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Civil War was fought in 10,000 documented sites including battles, skirmishes, etc. and New Mexico was one of them. :icon_thumleft: Cool deal. If you can remember exactly where you found the old bullets and button, I would go back and really scan the ground

I have scanned the area pretty well. If you check out my other posts, you will see what other buttons, bullets, and shell casings that I have found. Most items I find are so smashed up, must have been years worth of foot and wagon traffic on there way to Santa Fe. There is not much of the original trail left that is accessible. I am fortunate to know an old timer in the Canacito NM area that has lived in the area for a long time and showed me where to look...Most of the trail in my area is on Private Property, Monuments or has been covered up by asphalt, interstate 25 and Southern Pacific RR. I just really got started doing some serious metal det. in my area. I spent a lot of my former time in NM hiking, camping and sluicing for gold, which was really more about exercise and getting out. I find I get a more rewarding feeling finding the unknown that metal det. offers. Now the weather is changing fast, so my opportunities will be more limited. Hope to find Forest Fenn's treasure next year.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds!
Your Trans-Mississippi Department relics are tied with "NVNutcase" and his Maynard Carbine as my favorite posts here on TNET.

***Private Message sent, Lamy Lineman***

~Tejaas~

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lamy Lineman - I've spent most of my adult life in the Santa Fe area , and have hunted some out near Glorieta Pass . There are
18th C. Spanish relics to be found out there as well , and perhaps closer to Rowe Mesa - nickel iron meteorites !

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, when you think of who went down that trail over so many years. You are bringing it back to life for us. Thanks and well done...

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Updates? Have you been out hunting since?

~Tejaas~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions