latest iron rehab...toy bank and fence finial

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to my old homesite that has produced well for two years.After being cherry picked I am now going back and digging deep iron targets..or anything else I may have missed. Most folks don't like iron, but I do, and I don't mind spending time bringing them back. Out of the ground it is anybody's guess what it is, but soon it reveals itself for what was hidden underneath. The finial is hand forged and quite old, I really like it a lot. The bank is cast iron and is called a "castle bank"because of its design. I was hoping there would be coins left in it but not so lucky this time. The slick medicine was from one of my holes, where I probe the bottom and sides after I dig out the detected target. I often will find a bottle this way, having a deep hole already there, it is worth a shot to use a 12 inch probe while into it. vn
zzxc.JPG DSC00033.JPG DSC00002.JPG cbml.JPG rty.JPG

what the bank would have looked like new... antique-cast-iron-castle-tower-building-bank-vintage_331282230447.jpg

Upvote 10

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job cleaning those up. I would never, in a million years, guessed bank on that cylinder. Finding an old iron bank is on my wish list.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that bank was so unrecognizable that it makes me wonder how many have been dug and tossed in the trash before!

I love iron, too. Helps me in locating sites, and some really great things can be made of iron. I keep old tools, cross cut saws, gun parts, shell fragments, buggy springs and steps, and the list goes on. Do you think you'll be able to clean the bank any more?

Congrats!

-Buck

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will have to post more pictures of the bank when it is restored. Looks like it beats most coins and other relics out there. I really like it.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that bank was so unrecognizable that it makes me wonder how many have been dug and tossed in the trash before!

I love iron, too. Helps me in locating sites, and some really great things can be made of iron. I keep old tools, cross cut saws, gun parts, shell fragments, buggy springs and steps, and the list goes on. Do you think you'll be able to clean the bank any more?

Congrats!

-Buck

Cast iron as you know is a heck of a lot more difficult to get back to a decent state when it is this congealed in rust. As you can see in one of the pics, it was broken half way up. There was a fracture on the other side as well and this all made it difficult to clean...had to clip onto each separated piece plus it is already a front and rear half bank(two pieces screwed together) So it is still being worked on and will be in parts when done. I always try to reassemble if possible, but it allows me to make good documentation of it even if it doesn't look like a showpiece.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will have to post more pictures of the bank when it is restored. Looks like it beats most coins and other relics out there. I really like it.

I prefer digging relics anyways over finding coins, although a handful inside that bank would have been awesome. I will post a pic of it when done, but it won't be pretty, there are parts of it that were way to ate up to save.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cast iron as you know is a heck of a lot more difficult to get back to a decent state when it is this congealed in rust. As you can see in one of the pics, it was broken half way up. There was a fracture on the other side as well and this all made it difficult to clean...had to clip onto each separated piece plus it is already a front and rear half bank(two pieces screwed together) So it is still being worked on and will be in parts when done. I always try to reassemble if possible, but it allows me to make good documentation of it even if it doesn't look like a showpiece.

Thanks for the reply, villagenut. I'd love to see a photo of it after it's done, if it re-assembles well.

Congrats,

Buck

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VILLAGE NUT YOU GET MY THUMBS, ON THE CASTLE BANK REALLY NET FIND YOU HAVE THERE,VANZUTPHEN

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the latest pic of the old cast bank...in rough shape but still a piece of history from the old home site. DSC00017.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions