Latest on Nemesis/PD

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
George, thanx for posting this link. Looks like he's got something for coin/relic guys, as opposed to strictly prospecting and low-conductor guys. The pulse technology has always excelled in low conductors, hence beach guys have liked beach pulse machines. The current pulse units will get a nickel or gold ring, for example, deeper than a dime, even though the dime is the physically smaller target. But of course the downsides have always been that they can't nix nails, and that penny/dimes don't get much deeper than conventional VLF discriminators.

There are some wickedly sensitive pulse beach pulse machines on the market now, that can get penny/dimes to well beyond a foot (and nickels deeper still), but to think someone could use that on land, would be fool-hearty. You'd be hearing every single staple, push pin, paper clip, etc... If the fabled depths of certain pulse machines could be meshed with an ability to pass iron, and have some sort of TID (to know low vs highs), that would make a great land machine. Your link says he's got one for use in coin-hunting in those European furroughed fields. If so, those type hunters definately want the small silver coins. So it will be interesting to see what this coin-hunter model can do, when compared with the current power-houses, like the Explorer. Thanx again for the link.

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hi Tom
Well it will be a first for a PI. Instead of targeting low conductors as the first priority, having extreme variable settings which would work for high conductor coins also.
I am curious whether the TID numbers for a coin will remain the same regardless of depth as claimed- just have to wait and see.

It looks like the prospecting version is going to be released first. Couldn't have picked a better tester than Reg. I also hope to see Steve H's opinion of it but that probably is some time down the road.

How long has it been since I first started keeping track of the PD? 5 years?

George

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi Tom what metal detector PI can get a penny or dime at 12"? Just curious because my beach units don't get coins at that depth! I am curious because I am looking for a machine that can get good depth but so far haven't found one. I have been asking everyone but no one can really back up their claim about a PI going to that depth. Most water PI's only go about 5-6" in depth if I am lucky. Well, give me some ideas for machines it because right now I have 2 Surfmaster PI's. Aloha ;D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
makahaman, Yes, the surfmasters are not the beach pulse I have in mind. There is another one, whose name escapes me, that goes deeper still (with the inherent drawbacks of getting staples and bobby pins a nearly a foot deep). Maybe someone here can chime in: It has a teensy control box. Sorry, my memory is fading. Yes, the surfmaster won't get a penny/dime any deeper than a VLF discriminator. Nickels and gold rings perhaps, but not penny/dimes. But there are other pulse units that get both deeper than VLF discriminators. As soon as the name rings in my brain, (unless someone else beats me to it), I'll post it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ah, here it is: The "Deepstar" can get a dime to 16" in a lot of conditions. Much deeper than Whites pulse. Even conservatively at 12", which is well beyond VLF disc. There is another pulse beach machine, non-Whites, which is that "hopped up" too, whose name escapes me.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys,

I'm on the list to be getting a Nemesis. The original Pulse Devil has been shelved for now, and it does appear that the prospecting version of the Nemesis may be the first to see the light of day. The following is direct from Dave:

"The prospecting version has the full pulse width selection as well as the new patent pending iron - non iron reject circuitry. In short it
is all you need for nugget hunting. It will also do fine on coins and jewelry at the beach but it has no variable discrimination control".

The sad story there is that what most of us want to see is the coin version of the machine. The real eye-popping breakthrough was to be target id on a pulse induction unit. Now it appears what we will see is just another prospecting unit, with the only possible unique feature being an iron rejection system really works. That in itself would be an advance indeed, but the whole thing is light years away from the Pulse Devil as originally promised. And how well the iron reject works remains to be seen.

Anyway, I'm supposed to get one "soon". Unfortunately I've been hearing that for over two years. Dave says he chose me as a tester because I have a reputation for calling it like I see it. I'm supposed to report on the Pulse Devil or Nemesis "warts and all".

Well, one big wart so far seems to be you never can actually get you hands on one!

Steve Herschbach

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Steve, thanx for the update. You say: "but it has no variable discrimination control". I assume that means no tone ID's ( which would be the same thing accomplished via audio). Bummer. That means a piece of foil will be in-distinguishable from a quarter, silver dollar, etc...? (unless someone cares to second-guess sound sizes, etc...). Bummer. That would take us, discrimination-wise, back to the days of all-metal TR's. But naturally, with great ability to get depth and tackle back ground though. Perhaps a great relic or beach machine, but not for coin hunting junky parks I guess.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Tom,

Late breaking news from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProspectinginOz/message/7240 is that the US version will indeed feature a variable discriminate knob! The post also implies that version will be more expensive than the prospecting only unit.

The only catch at this point is they still have to actually appear. Two years ago the units were close to being available. Last spring they were close to being available. Last fall they were close to being available. Now they are close to being available. At this point I'd bet we will once again see delays.

It is a bet I'd like to lose.

Steve Herschbach

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Mr. Steve, I hope you loose the bet too. For well over 20 yrs. we've only seen whistles and bells added. Yeah, maybe an inch of depth since the mid '80s for turf hunting. But heck, compared to the giant steps from, say 1970 to 1985, and you can see the giant strides THOSE guys were used to, has never again occured.

I noted this quote from your link: "Australians very rarely if ever search for coins". That must be true. A buddy of mine went over there, and .... since he is not a nugget hunter .... decided to hit some ghost towns, town squares, etc... He was shocked at the amount of silver he found. Granted, only 1920s-40s type stuff, but enough that it was like taking candy from a baby. He also found an Australian gold coin (one of the first issued, 1852 or '53, quite valuable) at a lighthouse lawn, that "just screamed" to be metal detected. He figured it out finally, when he realized that Australians go strictly for nuggets, and don't concern themselves with coins ::)

I also read in a previous link you provided, that the machine was tested in the fields of Europe. While those British and European hunters may be in a "relic mindset", they certainly don't be-little those sweet silver coins (hammereds, middle-ages, etc..). Unlike nugget or jewelry hunters, which could care less about silver or high conductors. Of course some of those hammered silvers are pretty thin, and read mid-range or low-range, those European hunters still would relish a machine that got high conductors deeper than what they can currently reach. It's that same mind-set that USA turf-hunters would share. I certainly wouldn't complain if ..... instead of peaking at 8 or 9" for a dime, I could all of the sudden get 9 or 10" AND retain some semblence of TID :) Low conductors are not, nor have they ever been, a problem to find in the turf here. Heck, I can go out right now and FILL my apron with low conductors at any inner-city blighted urban park of my choice. Sure, 99.9% will be cr*p, but the point is, why would I need MORE sensitivity to find what I already avoid like the plague? At beaches and relic sites having more sens. for lower conductors is a bonus. But it would be nice to see a machine which can pass foil (IF NEED BE) and search for coins. Not the recipe for most types hunting, but for certain others types, an ascending ("variable") disc. control would have its niche!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread