N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
RAD:
First, WELCOME TO TREASURE NET!!
As to what is the law here in Calif. regarding TH-ing, that depends mostly on where you hunt. As to hunting in California, let me suggest you go to the FORUM page then scroll down to what you'll see is all the states in one site. Click on California and ask your Q. there.
Another suggestion is to visit the Riverside County Historical Society for possible leads. Another thought is to do some research on the gold areas (San Gabriel River area to your NE and Julian to your South-- in San Diego County.)
Again, WELCOME!
Don.....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The only prohibitions I know of in CA, are federal parks. But even then, you may get a ranger who won't stop you, but will tell you to "turn in all coins older than 50 yrs. old" (and then it's up to your math skills, right? :-* )

As for state-owned parks, you can get different answers. Ie.: ask enough bureaucrats high enough up the ladder, and what do you think the answer would be? ::) I've hunted state parks (and especially beaches), right in front of rangers and anyone, and never heard "boo". But oddly, if you read the book "Treasure Laws of the United States" by a fellow named "Grimm", CA state parks sound discouraging. Or likewise if you go to the FMDAC's list of states, it will say that you can detect in State of CA parks, AS LONG AS YOU ASK AT EACH KIOSK (or something to that effect). But by doing that, you merely leave yourself up to the whims of whoever's on duty, who can simply say "no", for no other reason that he thinks you're a geek with a shovel (when in fact he probably would never have even given you a second thought or noticed you).

But on the city and county level, there are no prohibitions anywhere in southern CA. Is that to say you might not get a "busy-body" who tells you otherwise? Of course not. So you just go at low traffic times, be neat, don't go during an archaeologist convention, don't be in the middle of retrievals when busy-bodies are watching, etc... Odds are, no one cares.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
The Law falls under the Lost Property and the other Law we need to study is the Trespassing Law. Lost property is just that, Lost Property. If you find it, it belongs to whoever lost it even if it’s on Private Property. Just like a pet or farm animal, as a matter of fact they fall under the same Law.

The State Law says that anything that’s valued at $100.00 or more will be turned into the local Police, or whatever authority has jurisdiction. If you find something under $100.00 you are supposed to call and report it to the Authorities. Some jurisdictions will give it back to the finder after set requirements are met to find the owner, like putting an add in the paper. And if the looser doesn’t claim the property in 90 days the item is returned to the finder.

But more and more the Authorities or Municipalities will keep the item and auctioning it off, and then keep the proceeds. The city of Emeryville in the Bay Area dose if like that.

I got on the Authorities and Law Enforcements last nerve, that’s because I kept calling them about the clad I had found :o.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
So Ant, I assume that when you find a barber or seated dime, with a red-book value of more than $100, you go by the face value (10 cents), not what it's "worth", right? Well how about this: what if you find a coin in a coin holder plastic sleeve, with a $110.00 price tag written on it, for that same seated dime (someone walking out of a coin store lost it on the beach, while it was still in the sleeve).

Or how about cheapie 14k gold bands, that *might* have a jewelry store value of $100 or more (maybe $99.99 at Costco's jewelry counter). Do you turn that in to the police lost and found? What if it was bought back when gold was down at $700 an ounce, so the buyer got it for under $100, however gold is now near $1000 per ounce, so it's worth more? Do you go by the price they bought it for, or the value/price NOW? How do you know when they bought it?

I guess the bottom line is, were you serious about turning in everything worth over $100?

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I got on the Authorities and Law Enforcements last nerve :o, that’s because I kept calling them about the clad I had found :wink: . Oh of course, I call them even if I think it's near $100.00 :icon_pirat::-*:icon_pirat:

I was only answering his question Tom :wink:.

B

BIG61AL

In theory if you found a 1876 quarter in the eyes of the US government it worth only 25 cents - face value. if you tried to deposit that coin at the bank you can only deposit 25 cents, not what it is worth.

Besides finders keepers!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
look at this way, if you had to sell it right now. what's it worth? not much.
keep it. if they ask you, it's your coffee money, mama don't give you paper money. LOL

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
RAD1210 said:
I am new to this. Just got a MXT 350 yesterday and was wondering what the laws are about metal detecting in So Cali. I am in the riverside/ moreno valley area. Any ideas where to go would also help me

Nice machine...I love it but it is a MXT300 that you bought. :thumbsup:

Socalal

Greenie
May 8, 2008
Gardena, CA
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL, XLT, & DFX-300, Tesoro SuperTrac & Compadre, Minelab GP-3500
Hello RAD,

I live in SoCal and have been detecting for many years. You can listen to what everyone has to say --- then join a group called PLP (Public Lands For The People, www.plp2.org). Best $35 a year anyone can spend who enjoys using PUBLIC LANDS --- not only detectorists, but hikers, bikers, campers, dredgers, prospectors, hunters, fishermen (and women!), etc. ---- In every issue of their newsletter they have a real helpful little form called "Challenge Notification Form". It's real short. It tells you to be polite if challenged and try to get the persons' name, badge #, title/position, Agency & District, Date & Time, and a small description of the location / facts surrounding the challenge --- Then turn it in to PLP.

The money goes into their Legal Fund and PLP WILL LITAGATE! Believe it or not, two people were stopped for a minor traffic infraction recently in Colorado --- and got additional citations for having two metal detectors (with batteries in them) in the vehicles' back seat! I am not an official with PLP, just a member, but this group is defending our rights to use Public Lands in all States. You might want to check them out. --- Al

Corben

Jul 9, 2008
Sacramento
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000. V4
Garrett ATPro
Socalal said:
Hello RAD,

I live in SoCal and have been detecting for many years. You can listen to what everyone has to say --- then join a group called PLP (Public Lands For The People, www.plp2.org). ...........................

What a cool idea.....Awsesome site and good information Al! Thanks!
Corben.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ant said:
I got on the Authorities and Law Enforcements last nerve :o, that's because I kept calling them about the clad I had found :wink: . Oh of course, I call them even if I think it's near $100.00 :icon_pirat::-*:icon_pirat:

what does last nerve mean?
Did you in tensionally make them mad at you?
Or did you try to make them ignore you for all the reporting?

Turning in a 1989 penny every day because it might have been owned by a famous person and be worth more than $100 would make them angry.
To what purpose I ask.

I have never hunted Cal. yet but I wiil.
If some tells me no I will stop. If not I will hunt.
If all the signs are written in English saying no metal detecting, I can claim I don't know the language as most do not.
"I did not see the button marked PRESS TWO".

What is the difference between a Federal Park and a National Park?

I need to learn a foreign language and play ignorant. LOL

Grey

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
greydigger said:
Ant said:
I got on the Authorities and Law Enforcements last nerve :o, that's because I kept calling them about the clad I had found :wink: . Oh of course, I call them even if I think it's near $100.00 :icon_pirat::-*:icon_pirat:

what does last nerve mean?

Did you in tensionally make them mad at you?
Or did you try to make them ignore you for all the reporting?

Turning in a 1989 penny every day because it might have been owned by a famous person and be worth more than $100 would make them angry.
To what purpose I ask.

I have never hunted Cal. yet but I wiil.
If some tells me no I will stop. If not I will hunt.
If all the signs are written in English saying no metal detecting, I can claim I don't know the language as most do not.
"I did not see the button marked PRESS TWO".

What is the difference between a Federal Park and a National Park?

I need to learn a foreign language and play --deleted--. LOL

Grey

I was just being sarcastic.

I have nothing to do with this question but Federal Parks and a National Parks would be the same beast.

The original question was “Laws for California”.
We really don’t haves state laws that specifically pertain to metal detecting per say, other than to stay away from historical sties, some state property, we all know to stay off of private posted property. What we do have is laws that regulate lost property, that’s the one that I stated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread