North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rob,
All the places you mentioned ( schools , baseball parks , city parks etc.) have their own rules. Usually as long as you stay off the baseball field itself you won't be bothered searching outside the fence. A city park usually have the rules posted on their website or a contact number to ask questions. Schools are pretty strict anymore for security reasons, again I suggest you ask the principal or grounds keeper. There is just no one answer. Every site has it's own rules

Here is a link for Madison County History . You may find the links there interesting.

Madison County Historical Society

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't ask to much as you will get a no when there's not a law in place against it, if the park isn't posted then I detect and only go to school property after school hours or the weekend. Make sure you know how to cut a nice plug in the grass and carry a hand towel to put the extra dirt on, leave no trace of being there when your done. HH

OP
OP
R

rob250

Mar 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I was wondering if I would get a standard
NO when there was not a law in place .
Good idea thanks .

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep its a good way to get a law in place against it when they would have never even thought about it before, lots of people just like to have the power to tell you what you can and can't do just for the power trip they get from it. HH

OP
OP
R

rob250

Mar 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a small town and Iam not sure the right hand knows what the left hand is doing anyway , if you know what I mean. So you might be on to something practice common sense and dig good holes , after hours etc . nobody may care or bother me .

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Local parks: I hunt early weekday mornings and sometimes late afternoon right before dark. If there are kids playing or people out there I usually stay away from them and don't attract attention. When I go early, right at dusk, I usually only see the occasional joggers or people walking their dogs.

State/DNR controlled property: Avoid these places, MDing is banned. So is Geocaching too, unless you buy a license from the state!! I had a CO tell me that he would ticket a person for MDing on DNR property.

Schools: If you call the front administration office expect a stern "no"! I have better luck getting a hold of maintenance supervisors or the director of faculties. Never hunt during school hours or even when they have after school events. I mostly hunt schools during the summer after 5 or 6 PM (only with permission). People are paranoid around schools anymore. Also remember schools are plastered with cameras everywhere outside, so even if you think you are sneaking around at night detecting someone is watching.

Privately owned property: ALWAYS ask permission from the owner. On private property I only like to hunt away from people, mostly around abandoned homes or old house sites.

Don't call asking if detecting is legal at a local park. Most have a webpage with a list of rules and regulations where you can find out online. When you do go there if you are packing around a big shovel you will attract bad attention. I use a very small spade and a brass probe to retrieve targets. Practice digging in your own yard so you can see the best way not to create a mess or kill the grass. Round spots of dead grass over a plug are just as bad as leaving an open hole, and they will get you booted out. Pack along an old dish towel too, so if you do dig a hole pile the dirt on the towel, when you go to fill it back it it makes putting the lose dirt back in easy plus you won't leave the mess of a freshly dug hole. I make it a personal rule not to retrieve targets over 6 or 8 inches in parks that are well taken care of or mowed.

Good luck and happy hunting!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the parks around here have been pounded and most of the silver left is 8 to 12" deep as they aren't good enough with the detector to get these or the detector isn't good enough to hit these deep silvers. When it gets dry and hot in the summer its best to stay off any well kept grass as no matter how good of a plug you dig the grass will die, I try and save or have places that are in the woods for mid summer if it gets hot and dry. I always have a hand towel to put the extra dirt on and try and get as much dirt with the plug as I can at least 4", when done you can fold the towel long ways and pour the dirt back in the hole. HH

Canman55

Mar 8, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I too am just getting started and was wondering the same thing. Still looking around the house, getting practice and learning my ACE 350 but was looking for places to hunt around Crawfordsville. Sometimes knowing what NOT to do is as important as what to do.:notworthy:

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Canman,
Welcome to the forum, thanks for signing up. The forum has lots of great info and nice folks. Please keep us posted on how you do........HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread