lawyer needed now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why? Are you wanting to hunt already closed off archeological sites?

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DewGuru said:

that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
dew, i have read and re-read the legal b.s. and it seems to me that they are trying to ban all treasure hunting! i know it starts out looking like they are only concerned with archaeological sites but then they use some really vague and broad terms. like i said before i cannot read there secret language and that's exactly what they intended!
are you in the same camp as ron lord and saying don't worry about it? are you a lawyer? do you have experience with legislative writing? if so please explain it to me like im a 10 year old and break it down for me.
chuck.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, the way that reads, it says any State waters. I saw this the other day, and it's not good. I dont know why this all started, and it really encompasses the whole state. That way they can take away anything. It is very vague, and all encompassing. Seriously.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
DewGuru said:

dew, i have read and re-read the legal b.s. and it seems to me that they are trying to ban all treasure hunting! i know it starts out looking like they are only concerned with archaeological sites but then they use some really vague and broad terms. like i said before i cannot read there secret language and that's exactly what they intended!
are you in the same camp as ron lord and saying don't worry about it? are you a lawyer? do you have experience with legislative writing? if so please explain it to me like im a 10 year old and break it down for me.
chuck.

Already been much debate and speculation in all the other threads. I don't read it as a detection ban at all. I read verbiage pertaining to archeological significance and designations, and most likely brought on by the latest bout of the odessy guys and the Spaniards waring over their finds.

Millions of people visit FL per year. Most collect seashells ... etc. From the 'theories' that most have spawned from the legislation, that would therein outlaw such activity. Do you actually think thats going to happen, and or even be enforced? Nah. Not gonna happen, nor is from what I read, is it's intention.

Course, it's my .02 on it. That and about 5.98 will grab a fresh pack of smokes -- or -- it and 3.69 will buy a gallon of gas. Your mileage may vary of course. :D

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DewGuru said:
seeker41 said:
DewGuru said:

chuck.

Already been much debate and speculation in all the other threads. I don't read it as a detection ban at all. I read verbiage pertaining to archeological significance and designations, and most likely brought on by the latest bout of the odessy guys and the Spaniards waring over their finds.

Millions of people visit FL per year. Most collect seashells ... etc. From the 'theories' that most have spawned from the legislation, that would therein outlaw such activity. Do you actually think thats going to happen, and or even be enforced? Nah. Not gonna happen, nor is from what I read, is it's intention.

Course, it's my .02 on it. That and about 5.98 will grab a fresh pack of smokes -- or -- it and 3.69 will buy a gallon of gas. Your mileage may vary of course. :D

I also heard that it pertains to finds over 50 years old.... Heck, with all the sand piled up on the beach I can't find something lost yesterday much less something lost before 1962. I have never found anything on the beach that was over 50 years old and I'm guessing I never will.... :wink:

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the bills of this nature just build on top of the antiquities act, and further outlawing the hobby, indirectly. The way it is worded, as most are, is to leave it vague enough for the law enforcement, and ruling bodies to make their own appraisals of the situation, there fore you find a 1950 quarter and put it in your pocket, it may not mean they can arrest you, fine you, and put a felony on your record, but it means they can.
In the same manner as when a cop pulls you over for speeding he holds the power to cite you, or let you go with a warning. It's a borderline bill by itself, but paired up with numerous other bills already passed, or in the process of being passed, it will further diminish your rights to pursue your interest.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reread the bill. Seriously.

It covers all lands which the State can declare as sovereign, which includes all the beaches.

And you don't have to be hunting at an archaeological site.

If you find anything the State considers an archaeological "specimen" on the beach, like fulfilling the dream of finding a Spanish cob, its becomes property of the State.

Keep it, and your a criminal.

Now granted, you'd have to be caught and the odds of that aren't great. But is that supposed to make me feel better??

If no one sees a problem with that, then by all means do nothing.

But if the day comes that the State, incriment by incriment, ends up banning metal detecting at beaches altogether, please don't come on this forum and say one word about it. Thats all I ask.

Oh, and if you don't think that can ever happen, just remember this little factoid. When the IRS started, only the top 7% of income earners in the nation were subject to the income tax. Where is it now? Oh dear. Nearly everyone. Wonder how that happened?

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Oh, and if you don't think that can ever happen, just remember this little factoid. When the IRS started, only the top 7% of income earners in the nation were subject to the income tax. Where is it now? Oh dear. Nearly everyone. Wonder how that happened?

Now everyone is taxed on money earned, money spent... well, except maybe that top 7%?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The effects of SB 868 have been misunderstood. This bill simply extends current law to areas in which the State currently does not have jurisdiction."

Read that statement again, until it sinks in.

We have those areas in Wisconsin. Two years ago the DNR archie decided on his own that there would be NO detecting on state controlled properties. That, because of a legal principle called the "Public Trust Doctrine". He is the officer of that Public Trust, and so prohibits metal detecting on state controlled properties.

That includes ALL waters in the state; rivers, streams, lakes, and marshes.

As well as state parks, state natural areas, state recreation areas, state forests, and probably shorelines. Here's a link to that discussion:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=215494.0

Why won't that happen in Florida?

Archies are irritated that anyone but them can dig in the dirt, "their turf". It's that simple. They watch TV and see the shows and they see stuff we dig up (in Wisconsin it's copper points), and it violates the "Public Trust Doctrine". They are its cops. It's envy and jealousy and job protection (and the nagging question of why THEY'RE not finding much). Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread