Lazy People

MayberryMonte

Sep 12, 2008
Soddy Daisy, TN.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I hit some school yards today since school is out for the holidays. Someone had already been to the second one. The way I knew was not because it didn't give up anything but rather by the trail of holes they had dug and left uncovered. This really chapped my butt because the playground material was wood chips. I meam, how lazy can you get. Its not like they had to fix a sodded yard. And to beat all, if the hole held trash, they just left it there. I cleaned up their mess and still managed to find some clad that they missed.

mtbiker

Aug 24, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & White's PI
Yep, I know the feeling! Same thing happened to me the other day. Went to a high school and was going along and noticed fresh dirt on top of the ground with trash-metal beside the dirt. The person didn't even fill the hold and stomp on it!!!! But hey, he/she missed some coins and I found them!!!! ;D HH all!!!

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only consolation is that maybe they'll tire quickly of digging trash and seek another adventure. This is not the work of a tried and true detectorist, but rather someone who simply thinks he may have found a way to sudden wealth..

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I really hate to see that at a site I am detecting. If someone there saw the holes and then saw me with a detector they put two and two together and I am the SOB that left the holes. Guilty by association, blackeye for hobby and I look like the bad guy.

B

BIG61AL

I run into the same butthead every now and then.....i usually take some heavy wire and spiral it into a coin shape and bury it by the A$$hole's open hole.....they will return and surely find it and hopefully realise another TH is watching them

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Met a MDer this summer and was invited to his "Club Hunt".
We all met at a restaurant and were given directions to a school where some special coins were seeded
as well as normal stuff. Maybe 2 dozen folks there hunting. I hoped to learn from them.
I learned not to bother filling holes, leave trash you find and be rude to newcomers.
Was not pleasant and son and I left well before hunt ended.
I guess we don't care for MD clubs.

Grey

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I was certain, that someone had been detecting in my lawn. I went to mow and there were holes dug all over the place, and not refilled.
I covered them all in. The next morning they came during the night and dug more holes.
Hmm, something is not right here.
My very elderly neighbor seen me out there and stops to visit. I tell him what is going on.
He had quite a laugh, then told me. You darn fool the skunks are the ones doing that. They dig holes, looking for grubs to eat. Since then it has happened many times. Mostly in the spring time.
I also seen it happen in a state park near a swimming area, I quickly filled the holes before the park rangers could see them and put the blame on someone with a metal detector.
Not saying that this is what you probably discovered, but it sure happens a lot around here.
Happy New Year to you all,
Clayton

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Been accused of the work of squirrels, ground hogs, 13 lined ground squirrels, mole colonies, dogs and skunks. Worst of the accusers are always the ones who proclaim themselves saviours of the wild and nature lovers.

Now if they can't tell by the size or nature of the hole, the way the mass was ejected from, not excavated out of the hole, or the fact that that mole crowns are clearly connected by upheaved earth, what know they of critters and crittering?

On the other hand, I've got five fingers.
Did see a guy, newbie this year and gave him some quick digging tips and techniques after walking up to him and observing his work.

But yeah, some critters love digging those woodchips, they are chock full of grubs, makes you wonder why anyone would want their kids playing in them. That and the fungal variations they demonstrate. I do not associate such holes with other md'ers if there's still coinage present and do not wring my five fingered hands over what others do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread