LC site Revisited

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
So let me point out that the site Nate recently found the Large Cent we have hunted for about 3 years. I have historical records off all the settlements in the area as well as names of who settled there and when. The earliest settlers had a mill around late 1820's. However it was about 1/3 to ½ mile from when we have recently found some old items. All the other settlements in the area date post 1870's.

Back in Late October I wandered deeper into the woods and found what I believe to be a 1960's clam bake:

ClamBake2IMG_0743.jpg

ClamBake1IMG_0743.jpg

ClamBake3IMG_0743.jpg

Last week I went to show Nate where I found the recent 60's stuff and he came up with the LC. This perked our interest because we haven't hit this particular area much (lack of targets and dense foliage that makes it impossible in the summer).

Anyway, after work I hit the area. I worked it slow and dug anything that was above iorn. First item was a flat button:

FirstButtonIMG_0936.jpg

Then I got another. Some junk, another button, etc. After an hour or two I decided to call it a day and detect back to the car. On my way back I picked up a stray IH:

IHIMG_0944.jpg

The buttons:

ButtonsIMG_0962.jpg

Some of the buttons were very shallow and two of them had pieces of broken china in the same hole.

MiscstuffIMG_0967.jpg

medallionIMG_0952.jpg
\

sovenierIMG_0954.jpg

TwoCoinsIMG_0964.jpg

tinybuttonfrontIMG_0960.jpg

AllthestuffIMG_0958.jpg

Upvote 0

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
That's a bunch of stuff. If you're pulling out flat buttons, it deserves to be hunted thoroughly. There's more cool stuff to be found there. :thumbsup:
Thanks to you, I have that darn Elvis song stuck in my head. What makes it even worse, is the only words in the song I know are: Clam Bake.... Gonna Have a Clam Bake....
Make it stop!

HH!! :hello:
Cm2db

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, Bob. I like seeing the 1960's clam bake stuff all together, even the junk. And it looks like you are on to a great early site there... my kind of relics.

Wonderful pics and story.

Happy tectin',
Chris

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice stuff ya got goin on there. Flat buttons are a pretty good indication that there is more to be found. Dig the iron out and you might be suprised what could follow it.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging from the age of the china recovered with the flat buttons, you are on an early homestead site. Bravo!

The button in your first photo appears to be a large Tombac button (late 1700s), and the tiny one with the boquet of flowers on it looks like a Jacksonian type (1820s).

There will be a possibility for more old coins and good button finds there.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
You came back in style buddy. :icon_thumleft: Great old relics from that spot. I'll take a hunt with 1800's buttons any day. Nicely done. Congrats on the silver too. That's the smallest 1800's pad lock I've seen. :thumbsup: Any idea what that oval piece is? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: I've dug them up at old properties too.
Can't wait to see the oldies come out of that spot on your next outing.
-Doug-

Attachments

• MiscstuffIMG_0967.jpg
    MiscstuffIMG_0967.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 363
  • MiscstuffIMG_0967.jpg
    MiscstuffIMG_0967.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 357

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM,

As I recall, those brass "O-rings" are a part of a snap closure.

The piece below the o-ring is a concho.

-Buck

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear from you Bob and congrats on the silver! HH, Mike

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
MM,

As I recall, those brass "O-rings" are a part of a snap closure.

The piece below the o-ring is a concho.

-Buck

Thanks BB.
They looked modern to me too.
-Doug-

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
If you want to open that 1800's lock follow these instructions:

1) take a drill......

Ahh nevermind... (some of you will get that).

Nice digs Bob & Nate..
Hope the snow holds off a few more weeks. Looks like you guys have alot of detecting to do!

hh
ZoSo

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
BuckleBoy said:
Judging from the age of the china recovered with the flat buttons, you are on an early homestead site. Bravo!

The button in your first photo appears to be a large Tombac button (late 1700s), and the tiny one with the boquet of flowers on it looks like a Jacksonian type (1820s).

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Thanks for the button ID help Buckles. This recent area that we have found this stuff in does not have any logical explanation. I have a history book telling all about the settlers in this area. All the old items have come from a small area (maybe 100'x20'). The 1820's mill was almost 1/2 mile away. The area all around this isolated spot we have hit the last few years and found plenty of V nickels, IH's, early 1920's relics, tokens, etc but never anything that would date prior to 1880. :icon_scratch:

ModernMiner said:
Bob,
You came back in style buddy. :icon_thumleft: Great old relics from that spot. I'll take a hunt with 1800's buttons any day. Nicely done. Congrats on the silver too. That's the smallest 1800's pad lock I've seen. :thumbsup: Any idea what that oval piece is? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: I've dug them up at old properties too.
Can't wait to see the oldies come out of that spot on your next outing.
-Doug-

Thanks Doug. I had some other decent stuff I could have posted this summer/early fall. Just not too motivated to post anymore. Don't worry though - if I find a Bust Half I'll post. ;D The old buttons are cool. I think I found more flat buttons in one hunt than I have my whole life. :tongue3: I think Buckles id'd the O-ring thing. Like for a purse or saddle - the male part goes through the O-ring and then you twist the male part to lock it.

Bob

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great group of finds. Looks like you've found a great site. :icon_thumright:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
BuckleBoy said:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Thanks for the button ID help Buckles. This recent area that we have found this stuff in does not have any logical explanation. I have a history book telling all about the settlers in this area. All the old items have come from a small area (maybe 100'x20'). The 1820's mill was almost 1/2 mile away. The area all around this isolated spot we have hit the last few years and found plenty of V nickels, IH's, early 1920's relics, tokens, etc but never anything that would date prior to 1880. :icon_scratch:

A history book will not list all of the homesites. And a homesite is your logical explanation. They didn't build mills in an area where there weren't any customers! There were homesteads all around that mill site, you can bet your bottom dollar. Few folks think to hunt the properties within a few miles radius of a mill--but that's where the house sites were. :wink:

Congrats, my friend--and welcome to the early 1800s. Pitch a tent and stay a while.

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread