LCs, Cut 1748 King George, flint, flask and more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LC's, Cut 1748 King George, flint, flask and more...

I got out on Thurs (5/26) and yesterday (5/28) to do a little sifting. I've been in a copper slump for months now and it finally ended on Thursday with a crusty 1833 LC popping out of the side wall of the pit section. That was it for Thursday though and the rest of the pit was a bust. On Saturday I opened a different section and it was loaded! Its crazy how one small area is packed full of good non-ferrous, glass, bone and pottery and a few feet away the next section is empty!

A nice Jaw harp turned up that I tumbled and waxed, followed by a 1813 Classic Head LC that someone took a hammer to and pounded the rim until is flattened out. Was kind of bummed at this since its only my second Classic Head LC. I have lots of DB and Matron, but I just don't find many Classic Head. Another French Flintlock musket flint turns up and it looks well used. A handful of tombac buttons, shoe buckle fragments and.... Another cufflink! This one is a pewter with a drilled shank and I believe it held a paste stone at one time. The clasp is brass and has a very interesting design to it. While my 5 link streak ended many hunts ago, I have still found more cufflinks this year than I had in all the years prior.

IMG_20160529_170109445.jpg

IMG_20160529_170002839.jpg

IMG_20160529_170027600.jpg

IMG_20160529_170039766.jpg

Definitely one of my favorite finds from Saturday. I find lots of fragments like this and they are always broken cast buttons. Well I rub on this in the field and I see something on it... then I realize its a date and its a slice of a King George II Half Penny. It has "748" on the slice and the other side has the base of George's bust. I figured it was just broken because this is a very small denomination, but I believe there are chisel marks on it. You can see them on the right side of the cut on the bust side. Anyway, its a very interesting cut\broken colonial copper and something I would have never guessed. Its TINY and the Deus picked up a squeek between the nails in the clay at the bottom of the pit.

IMG_20160528_102038989.jpg

I dug the neck to this first and thought I had just found the neck to my Zachery Taylor flask that was dug a few feet away. Then the shard with the face on it surfaced and I realized I had a new flask. This is all I got from it, but I was able to get an ID on it and its pretty cool. Its a George Washington Monument Flask made between 1830-1850 commerating the George Washington Monument that was constructed in Baltimore beginning in 1813. Looking at earlier Baltimore ?Washington Monument? Historical Flasks | Peachridge Glass and here is the monument https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_(Baltimore)

IMG_20160529_170012021.jpg flask .jpg

The beat up Classic Head

IMG_20160528_125040889.jpg

I only do electrolysis on iron, but when the crusty 1833 LC turned up, I decided to give it a shot.

After toothpicking:

IMG_20160527_075404477_HDR.jpg

After boiling peroxide:

IMG_20160527_083313.jpg

After 3 min in electrolysis:

IMG_20160527_085851398.jpg

I stopped after 5 minutes. I wanted to leave some of the verdigris on it. I really like the patina on a dug copper, so I dont enjoy the clean copper look, but I do love that its a coin I can ID and enjoy now.

IMG_20160527_091318.jpg

Thanks for looking and enjoy the holiday weekend :occasion14: Happy Hunting everyone.

Upvote 18

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds that site just doesn't stop producing. That cut KGII is rediculous!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got a 1/4 cut copper a few weeks back---same deal--saw some details, then the cleaning shows 777. glad cut coppers exist--sold it for $10. now I want a CUT SILVER :--(. great bag o' treasure!!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs man that Jaw Harp was a monster compared to the ones we find around here..

~Blaze

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thank you Casper!

nice relics!

Thank you Calabash!

Great finds that site just doesn't stop producing. That cut KGII is rediculous!

Thanks man! Yeah, its tiny and a bit crazy. There's still stuff down there, its just a ton of work to get to it and a lot of guessing. ha

got a 1/4 cut copper a few weeks back---same deal--saw some details, then the cleaning shows 777. glad cut coppers exist--sold it for $10. now I want a CUT SILVER :--(. great bag o' treasure!!

Thanks port ewen ace! Do you have a picture of it by chance, or is there a post on here? I think I've seen ones cut in half on here, but it'd be cool to see another one that was cut smaller. It would have been awesome if it was cut silver!

Nice digs man that Jaw Harp was a monster compared to the ones we find around here..

~Blaze

Thanks a ton JB! The harp was one of the first things to be tossed up as I broke up the dirt on Sat and it made me smile. Its only the second harp I've dug, both iron, and I really love those sort of personal items. I'll take an iron one any day, but it'd be cool to find a brass one one day.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done Brad.

That LC really looks nice after a little electric bath!

Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very well done Brad.

That LC really looks nice after a little electric bath!

Best of luck to you.

Thanks man! You know how I like the dug relic look... so I was really torn on zapping that thing, but I am so glad I did. Before I had to get the light just right to even see what kind of copper it was and now I have tons of detail and it displays great. I started looking at other crusty coppers thinking "what can I zap next"... but quickly stopped myself. :laughing7: I'd absolutely do it again, but it would have to be the right copper and in rough shape.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a match, but sure was close. The strap loop on the piece from the weekend just doesn't line up and is a good 1/4" lower. This piece was sitting in the clay and was heavily oxidized, so lots of the thin strap loop end chipped away. I could probably bend it and make them match up to JB-Weld them together for a display piece though. ha

IMG_20160531_123432.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread