✅ SOLVED Lead Bale Seal ???

tmosc

Mar 25, 2015
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this and someone said it looked like a Lead Bale Seal. It's Lead and has markings but I'm unable to match it with any pictures that I found on the Web. On one side there is a 9 7 and on the other is what appears to be a Sun ? Its a round circle with curved lines coming off of it. Any of my fellow Treasure Hunters / Diggers / Archeologists / Dirt Fisherman got an idea ?

Photo Collage Maker_YvPsaw.png IMG_20150401_161704383-1.jpg

Last edited:

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know about it but have several that I can't identify too.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it's not a bale seal, it's to thick. You often see this type of lead weight turn up, with no classification to put them into.

SS

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tmosc

Mar 25, 2015
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No hole that I can see but it does look like it was attached to something on one side that eventually broke off. There were bale seals that had two sides that were pressed or clasped together to make the seal. I believe that this may be one half of that. Also upon further examination the " Sun " symbol may actually be a " G " . I contacted a Museum Curator for verification. I'll let you all know if or when I hear back from her. Thanks for the input everyone ! I've included a picture of what I'm thinking it may be half of. LA-lead-seals.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tmosc

Mar 25, 2015
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an update. Thanks to Treasure net member " Crusader " I have determined this to be an old Trade Weight. I researched the Web and found that it is more consistent with photos of Trade Weights and not Bale Seals. Pretty awesome !

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread