Lead or raw Galena

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found multiple pieces of a lead like substance mixed in with flakes and other ancient debris that isn’t a old shot bullet, or what would seem to be modern refined lead. So I’m wondering if anyone on this forum has any info on wether native Americans used lead or raw galena for a counterweight or other purposes? Thanks for any info!

Upvote 0
It can be found associated with burials. It is rare in Alabama as it comes from a good distance away from here.

Not sure where you are located, but yes in some areas galena was used for weights.

It was used pretty extensively in the Ohio River Valley ( parts of Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana & Illinois) for weights, commonly called loaf stones. (Shaped like a loaf of bread.) Towards Illinois the loafs tend be more rounded on the top and are usually called hemispheres. Cone shaped items are also found made of galena.

Not sure where it was quarried, but it's usually white with patina/oxidation and shockingly heavy compared to normal stone relics.

I’m located in south eastern Idaho. Here is a pic of the most recent find. IMG_1818.jpgIMG_1819.jpg

Interesting. Not sure what you have there. It doesn't look like the Galena I have seen in the Midwest which has a more cube-like crystal structure and when scuffed up or worked turns powdery white.

The nick shown in the second picture makes it look more metal-like than ore-like. Might be casting debris or melted lead with gunk in it? How ancient are the relics you are finding?

Interesting. Not sure what you have there. It doesn't look like the Galena I have seen in the Midwest which has a more cube-like crystal structure and when scuffed up or worked turns powdery white.

The nick shown in the second picture makes it look more metal-like than ore-like. Might be casting debris or melted lead with gunk in it? How ancient are the relics you are finding?

It is odd for sure. The site we are at produces modern and ancient artifacts. It’s private ground that was plowed ages ago, there was year around water for millennia which brought the Indians. In and around this site we have found many material caches, where an abundance of debitage of all kinds were placed on the ground. 80% of the time these material caches have broke tips, drills, knifes and scrapers in them. Which convinced us they were ancient and not from modern artifact hunters piling up their flake. This piece of unknown lead like substance was found barely peaking out of the ground under a material cache.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back