PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this old un-insulated lead pipe with copper strands on the inside.

On a whim I stopped at one of the overflow parking areas for the Old Dodgertown spring training camp to try my luck with my AT Max. Within 15' of my vehicle, my first signal turned out to be a spent rifle cartridge. Seemed only a little odd since the military had a training base in this sleepy little town during WWII. Old bombs, anti-tank traps, land mines etc. are found each year on the beaches. (Ft. Pierce is next door and has the UDT Seal museum). I'm thinking this area will be a hotbed of spent cartridges. Nope.

I spent the next hour or so picking up nothing but trash until on my return I got about 50' from my vehicle and had a strong signal about 8-10" deep. First thing out of the hole was a ragged piece of lead. Then I saw copper strands of wire and a pipe going straight down. When I finally got a piece cut away I realized the pipe was lead. No insulation anywhere. Not the outside of the lead pipe, not inside and not around the individual strands of copper. It is about 3/4" in diameter with 30-40 strands inside, and each strand is about the same thickness as a credit card (1mm/18ga?)

Does anyone know what this could be used for? Can't be for conducting electricity without any insulation but maybe radar or other low voltage transmissions?
I'm guessing this has something to do with the military installation here in the 40's. But anything electrical usually has insulation around the metal.

When I got home with a magnifying glass I saw "42 R A" on the cartridge. A quick search told me it was military (with only a date) and the RA indicates it was produced by the Remington Arms co. out of Conn.

Thanks in advance for any insight. PP55

Attachments

• LeadPipe_ruler2.JPG
    LeadPipe_ruler2.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 49
  • LeadPipe_Cartridge3.JPG
    LeadPipe_Cartridge3.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 48
  • CartridgeWithRuler1.JPG
    CartridgeWithRuler1.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 48
  • CartridgeEnd1.JPG
    CartridgeEnd1.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 47
  • LeadPipe_MidShaftWidthRuler1.JPG
    LeadPipe_MidShaftWidthRuler1.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 47
  • LeadPipe_wideEnd1.JPG
    LeadPipe_wideEnd1.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 51
  • LeadPipe_NarrowEnd1Clearish.JPG
    LeadPipe_NarrowEnd1Clearish.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 54
  • LeadPipe_Cartridge1.JPG
    LeadPipe_Cartridge1.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 53

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Telephone wires, all the little wires are insulated. I used to chop off the lead to melt down for sinkers or round balls.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gunsil.
Now I see what looks to be brown paperlike insulation at the base of the copper now that you gave me an ID. I guess the lead gave it protection since they didn't have PVC pipes.
Do you know if that phone cable was used above ground or below ground?

My neighbor thought it was a lead connector/splice for an old power line that fell and was buried. Like when they hook up a service. Yours makes more sense since the lead doesn't appear to be crimped.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting finds! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread