Lead Seal? What do you think? Any Rail Road history buffs?

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calling all history buffs and antique aficionados.. I'm stumped. Went metal detecting over at some local baseball fields where they're installing a new 5 foot diameter water main pipe.. so they're digging down about 8-10 feet to bury it and there's a lot of clay and dirt they've dug up and have to haul away. Found this. I think it's some sort of seal or token. On one side it has the initials J.& N. R. R. And on the opposite side it has an H over the number 132. It is somewhat heavy for it's size and appears to be a metal with a slightly pinkish cast.

(Upon further reflection, I think it may be L. & N. R. R..what say you?)

Any ideas??

20200618_211931.jpg 20200618_211944.jpg

20200619_082231.jpg

Upvote 2
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a bale seal. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
ROIGuy

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far, I've gotten that the object in question happens to be a "bale seal" of some sort for the Louisiana & Nashville Railroad.
If that's the case, I'm still researching just what it was used for and what do the numbers on it refer to..
If anyone knows, please feel free to post...
Thanks for watching.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far, I've gotten that the object in question happens to be a "bale seal" of some sort for the Louisiana & Nashville Railroad.
If that's the case, I'm still researching just what it was used for and what do the numbers on it refer to..
If anyone knows, please feel free to post...
Thanks for watching.

Its not a 'bale seal' if it sealed a railway carriage door.

OP
OP
ROIGuy

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't gotten this definitively answered yet. I'll put this one in the unsolved mysteries category until I do ������.
Strange that even the L&N Railroad historical society can't even tell me for sure the history of this item. It has an 'H132' number on the back side.
That must mean something

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the letters are I and N, not J and N.
Consider the Iola and Northern RR that ran in your neighboring state of Wisconsin.
Don....

I was just in Iola last weekend. Also my daughters name. My family has a cabin there. Cool old town with an amazing car show every year. Too bad its canceled this year.

Its an interesting find for sure. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions