Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out with a new buddy of mine to a new site, unfortunately we gave most of the relics to the homeowner including an eagle button, bullets, and other brass odds and ends... and I lost some of the coins I dug!!! (LEFT THEM ON A TREE STUMP, LOL) My buddy found his first ever large cent... and then his second not 5 feet away! :headbang: He was very happy! I found a really neat piece here as well as a couple buttons and indian head cents I left... dumb***... it's an imprint of a Seated Half dollar on a lead disc. I was first thinking it was used as mold to make counterfeits but realized that lead has such a low melting point and also would be too malleable. I concluded it's sometype of gaming token or poker chip... whatever it is it's one of my most unique finds! :hello2: Here it is... I am still trying to figure out it's exact use. 12750287_950526241662290_83430801_n.jpg HH! :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 23
OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys! I love how you can see the "O" mintmark on it too.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Better than the real thing by a damn sight. That thing is awesome!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find! Congratulations! :occasion14:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Issac, just to be clear, this is a negative impression right? It could still very well be used for counterfeiting... Don't think of it as the master mould, but rather used to make a wax positive that could then be set in clay or sand to make the mould. After firing the clay, the wax would melt and the pewter or lead could be poured in to cast a coin. Just a thought. Maybe someone will know for sure.

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys. Very excited about this piece still. I was thinking the same thing too, but many people were saying that it wasn't. Your theory sounds plausible, Brad.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting piece. I found a similar imprint on lead of a large cent last year. Congrats! :thumbsup:

022.JPG 023.JPG

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a crazy cool find Isaac!!!! I hope you get a positive ID on it. I'll be waiting to hear

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Great find isaac!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to agree with OutdoorAdv with it being an attempt at counterfeiting.
I dug a lead Morgan Dollar awhile ago, and always felt that it was intentionally made to deceive.
Just way too much work involved to make a poker chip.
Haven't yet dug a real Seated Half, but if I found what you found, I'd be just as happy.
Kudos!
Carl
Can we get a shot of the obverse?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread