leads from official records of civil war-- gold/silver mines

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Chapter LXII. CORRESPONDENCE-UNION AND CONFEDERATE.

respective posts, whenever such course would not interfere with their military duties, and tofurnish every proper facility for the discovery and opening of mines of gold, silver, and other minerals. The results so far have exceeded my most sanguine expectations. Already reliable reports reach me of the discovery of rich gold, silver, and copper mines in almost every direction, and that by spring one of the largest and most hopeful fields of mining operations will be opened to the hardy and adventurous of our people. Both gold quartz and silver leads have been discovered at Egan Canon, about 200 miles west of this place; also in Ruby Valley, and at points along the mail route. The Goose Creek Mountains, 150 miles northwest of this city, are believed to contain rich mines of precious metals. The mountains in the immediate vicinity of this place are being explored and prospected, and I have reason to believe with successful results. Already, within a distance of from twenty-five to fifty miles of this city, in the East and West mountains, mines have been discovered yielding, with imperfect tests, rich indications of silver, and largerly charged with lead and copper ores. The work is still going on, and I have little doubt that rich veins of silver, and probably gold, will be discovered in almost every direction, and still nearer to Great Salt Lake City. I may also mention that near Camp Connor

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions