Learning my new F2 - have a few questions

Broevol

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After spending a little more time with my new F2 (8 inch coil), I have figured out when to dig, and when not to. My coin to junk ratio is at bout 8:10 (all clad at the moment), however I find myself only digging when the depth is above 4 or 5". I live on an old farm with lots of old Iron and trash in the ground (usually below 6-8" deep) and any hit below the 6" mark is very erratic, jumping all over the scale. I am hesitant to dig these signals because I always end up with scrap iron.Will coins below the 6" mark still be a strong constant signal? Do I need to upgrade the the 11" DD for more coin depth?

Thanks Again,
Darin

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
My sister uses one and the numbers bounce on every signal..basically useless.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins buried at an angle can give different readings from coins laying flat. Most signals that junp all over the place are Iron or two items under the coil at the same time. A larger DD coil will go deeper and cover a larger area at depth.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a BH 202 that incorporates the same search coil types. I have found the 5" gold search coil will give you the right depth as I search the way you describe 90% of the time. It just takes longer to work a area. This smaller coil also pinpoints targets for you and has a better chance of not picking up two targets. 9 out of 10 times my handheld pinpointer can locate the object for a quick retrieval.

The 8" and 10" search coils can be used to that depth also. I am not familure with the controls of the F4. But I am able to adjust sensitivity and use notch buttons to tone out unwanted depth or signal overload.

I will do a quick and simple air test before detecting. Once I find a general setting I place a item I am looking for on the ground, and detune the machine to it. I like the numbers to read right on my machine when I hunt. You seem to already figured out how to get consistent readings good luck.

The large 10" search coil is great for parking lot scans. But all coils were very sesnitive when around large iron, tin, and fences. Old tin is the worst and should I ever get a better discriminating machine I have several sites I would like to detect.

The search mode, which my BH202 has buttons for will help you identify multiple targets and screen out unwanted signal. The downfall is your trash to treasure ratio will look good, but your missing stuff.

I like to pick a area and do a slow scan, removing all the trash. Then I switch to a auto-notch mode and turn down the sensitivity.

There are times I just dont want to dig clad pennys all day. Hope this helps. The machines may be different, but the ideas are the same with any machine.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coins buried at an angle can give different readings from coins laying flat. Most signals that junp all over the place are Iron or two items under the coil at the same time. A larger DD coil will go deeper and cover a larger area at depth.

Great post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread