Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Things are going much better now with my Explorer XS.

Yesterday most holes had something in them.

Found a penny, square nail, and antique toy model A car.

The car was about 11 inches deep but it's about 2 1/2 inches long (badly damaged). I was using the 6" Excelerator DD coil. This blows a theory that coils only get as deep as they are wide. I think the 6" is almost as deep as the stock coil only it covers less ground obviously. But, there's a lot less target masking.

That little coil makes learning the Explorer a whole lot easier. I suggest anyone buying an Explorer for the first time also get the 6 inch coil.

It will take months to learn all the sounds but already I'm recognizing zinc pennies, nickels, and those pieces of zinc fruit jar lids that always cover old house sites.

I can see that the guys here who boast on the Explorer are telling it as it is. But like they say, this isn't a machine you master in a few days.

Badger

Upvote 0

midmich

May 21, 2008
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer
I'm going to take your advice & keep my eyes open for that coil. BTW, glad to hear you are having more success with you Explorer.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
MB

I don't have a 6 inch coil but the 8 inch excelerator I bought works great! I am using it in places I have hunted before and finding stuff I missed before.

Think I am going to order the pro coil today.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
kimsdad said:
Good luck on the Pro coil - It's on backorder. :(

It's good to get on the waiting list now though.

The Pro coil, is that the same as the Excelerator 6" coil?

If so I can see why it's on back order :o

I may never use the stock coil again.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
mastereagle22 said:
MB

I don't have a 6 inch coil but the 8 inch excelerator I bought works great! I am using it in places I have hunted before and finding stuff I missed before.

Think I am going to order the pro coil today.

I'll bet the 8 inch is even better. These coils aren't cheap but well worth the money! :thumbsup:

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
No MB the Pro coil is the new one they came out with for the SE and E-Trac. The 11 inch DD coil.

Is your 6 inch concentric? My 8 inch excelerator is and I wish I had the Minelab 8 inch coil instead. :-\

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
im glad its going well badge. :wink: i have a sunray stealth X-5 5" coil and its pretty deep too. maybe not as much as the stock coil, but in the trash its pretty respectable. i really like my explorer. the only time i dont use it anymore is if im doing a tot lot or a modern school yard just plunking around for clad. then the 2500 with its size feature is king of the hill, but for the deep old stuff its the explorer every time.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
mastereagle22 said:
No MB the Pro coil is the new one they came out with for the SE and E-Trac. The 11 inch DD coil.

Is your 6 inch concentric? My 8 inch excelerator is and I wish I had the Minelab 8 inch coil instead. :-\

No, my 6" is a DD.

The guys on that other forum brag it to the sky.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
hollowpointred said:
im glad its going well badge. :wink: i have a sunray stealth X-5 5" coil and its pretty deep too. maybe not as much as the stock coil, but in the trash its pretty respectable. i really like my explorer. the only time i dont use it anymore is if im doing a tot lot or a modern school yard just plunking around for clad. then the 2500 with its size feature is king of the hill, but for the deep old stuff its the explorer every time.

Yup, that's it alright!

I still like the Tesoros and the GT but when it comes to reaching way down there the Explorer rules :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
mastereagle22 said:
Guess I'll have to start looking for a small DD coil too.

Having trouble with your stock coil?

I'm using the 6 incher mainly to learn the XS. It makes everything so much easier. But once I understand the sounds I'll move up to the stock coil again to see if I can cope with better.

I'd have to believe it's deeper than the 6 inch.

But if you're hunting mostly real heavy trash sites the 6 DD would be the way to go I guess.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
OK MB here's the deal

BB and I have hit the same area about 7 or 8 times. We have always managed to pull a goody or two out of this place. The other night we went back and I had my 8 inch concentric coil on and went over a place I had gone over EVERY time with the stock coil and found a Civil War Eagle Button. So I started really watching my finds in places I had hunted before and in trashy areas the smaller coil makes a LOT of difference.

Now some will post it is lack of experience and skill but I found the base of a lead soldier in the same location at 9 inches with the small coil. So I know the smaller coil is a BIG advantage when you are hunting really really trashy spots. I have heard the new 11 inch DD coil is really good too so that is why I am buying one of those too.

I know Ricardo_NY1 has the Minelab 8 inch coil and he is doing VERY well with his. I am not bad mouthing my excelerator coil because it seems to be a good coil, I just wonder if a DD coil would be better. That's all.

One other thing I LOVE about the smaller coil is that it is lighter than the stock and easier to swing the machine longer.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear MB! I'm sold on the Minelab and will buy another. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Bavaria Mike said:
Good to hear MB! I'm sold on the Minelab and will buy another. HH, Mike

Wow! Coming from you Mike that's one high recommendation :thumbsup:

I find more and more that top notch finders like you are using it.

And too, I'm really surprised at how many still prefer the XS.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
mastereagle22 said:
OK MB here's the deal

BB and I have hit the same area about 7 or 8 times. We have always managed to pull a goody or two out of this place. The other night we went back and I had my 8 inch concentric coil on and went over a place I had gone over EVERY time with the stock coil and found a Civil War Eagle Button. So I started really watching my finds in places I had hunted before and in trashy areas the smaller coil makes a LOT of difference.

Now some will post it is lack of experience and skill but I found the base of a lead soldier in the same location at 9 inches with the small coil. So I know the smaller coil is a BIG advantage when you are hunting really really trashy spots. I have heard the new 11 inch DD coil is really good too so that is why I am buying one of those too.

I know Ricardo_NY1 has the Minelab 8 inch coil and he is doing VERY well with his. I am not bad mouthing my accelerator coil because it seems to be a good coil, I just wonder if a DD coil would be better. That's all.

One other thing I LOVE about the smaller coil is that it is lighter than the stock and easier to swing the machine longer.

Thanks for the info. I'm just a learner and I appreciate you guys with the Explorer experience sharing these things. This can save us all a lot of money and make us more productive. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread