EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is very forgiving of a less than ideal ground balance as it is able to take advantage of the multi frequency receive signals and better infer target ID vs. ground phase without being perfectly balanced.

On the other hand, multi frequency also enables you to achieve a very precise ground balance, especially in wet salt conditions and also provides a very good ground balance tracking capability.

What does all this mean? Well if the actual ground phase is withing 20 or so points of where you have the detector set (say you use the default at 0 and actual ground phase is at 20), you should still be able to hear a target at depth. With a more precise ground balance, that target signal should be more clear.

I would say that only in the case of actual versus set ground balance difference being greater than 30 or 40 are you in danger of missing a deeper target. This becomes more pronounced in highly mineralized or high salt ground where your depth (even with a perfect ground balance) is somewhat limited in the first place, so it is even more important to have a good ground balance in those conditions. Also, just a reminder that you cannot infer the degree of mineralization at a site purely from a ground phase reading. High mineralized sites do tend to have higher ground phase readings, but there is no direct correlation. In fact, remember that each search profile mode will likely give a different GB reading on the same patch of ground which is why you need to ground balance each mode separately if you use multiple modes at the same site.

Finally, when in doubt, don't be afraid to use ground balance tracking especially at sites that have highly variable ground phase readings across the site (a typical attribute of mineralized sites). This keeps you from having to constant rebalance the machine or missing a deeper keeper just because you forgot to rebalance. Since the tracking ground balance relies on a certain level of mineralization and change in mineralization to work well, I would avoid using it at very mild sites and especially not on dry white sand beaches.

HTH.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Equinox is very forgiving of a less than ideal ground balance as it is able to take advantage of the multi frequency receive signals and better infer target ID vs. ground phase without being perfectly balanced.

On the other hand, multi frequency also enables you to achieve a very precise ground balance, especially in wet salt conditions and also provides a very good ground balance tracking capability.

What does all this mean? Well if the actual ground phase is withing 20 or so points of where you have the detector set (say you use the default at 0 and actual ground phase is at 20), you should still be able to hear a target at depth. With a more precise ground balance, that target signal should be more clear.

I would say that only in the case of actual versus set ground balance difference being greater than 30 or 40 are you in danger of missing a deeper target. This becomes more pronounced in highly mineralized or high salt ground where your depth (even with a perfect ground balance) is somewhat limited in the first place, so it is even more important to have a good ground balance in those conditions. Also, just a reminder that you cannot infer the degree of mineralization at a site purely from a ground phase reading. High mineralized sites do tend to have higher ground phase readings, but there is no direct correlation. In fact, remember that each search profile mode will likely give a different GB reading on the same patch of ground which is why you need to ground balance each mode separately if you use multiple modes at the same site.

Finally, when in doubt, don't be afraid to use ground balance tracking especially at sites that have highly variable ground phase readings across the site (a typical attribute of mineralized sites). This keeps you from having to constant rebalance the machine or missing a deeper keeper just because you forgot to rebalance. Since the tracking ground balance relies on a certain level of mineralization and change in mineralization to work well, I would avoid using it at very mild sites and especially not on dry white sand beaches.

HTH.

Our soil can be 0 in one spot at 72 in another so I use tracking, but I left it on 0 today just to see and it seemed fine. But out soil is know for mid mineralization.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just tripped across them while researching this myself. I've always ground balanced all of my detectors until the Equinox. Minelab recommends leaving it at 0. I haven't had the weather to test this out. I'll start ground balancing it from now on.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a bunch of silver on 0 and a bunch on tracking. Deeper finds in both configurations. Ive said it before but i cant seem to screw this machine up.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They're the best, no hands down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread