Legal to detect on Sugarloaf Key?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Some state parks allow MD'ing, some do not. Simply email the park and ask, or stop in and check at the ranger station. There are several different post's that discuss this subject. Look up the 'Florida State Park' and 'State Park Laws' (title of post) here and in Beach and shallow water. (The law is linked below)

Enjoy the Keys and HH

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,76615.0.html

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Becket...

Sugarloaf Key (and I am assuming you are referring to the one in the FL Keys) is pretty much all private property... i.e. homes,etc. In fact, there aren't too many public beaches throughout the Keys. But as far as I know, there aren't any restrictions to beach hunting on the public beaches. I would definately ask the park service staff if you are planning to try your luck in the State Parks... don't want your toys taken away! HH!!

Phips

iamduesouth

Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2007
key west,florida
Detector(s) used
whites--- idx pro,classic id, m-6,surf id
Al says Hello from Key West, If you can make it here, could be some good hunting, several civil war forts here, some beach hunting also.... do not know much about Sugarloaf tho..... good luck.....!!

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

I was just down in the keys a couple of weekends ago. I spoke to the ranger at Bahia Honda State Park. They only allow MDing from the HIGH TIDE (Weed Line) mark to the dune.

There are a few other beaches that are public and you can MD at. Be aware that some of the beaches have about 1 inch of sand and then you hit rocks, it's tough going. The others have lots of clay, slippery to walk on and tough to dig.

The beach I saw with the most traffic is Sombrero Beach at MM50. You have to take a left at the light and go about 3 miles to the beach.

Let us know how you do.

Jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions