Legalities and DFX purchase recommendations

67csna

Nov 23, 2007
Milford, CT
Detector(s) used
Still deciding, probably going to go with a DFX.
Hello All,
I'm about to get into this hobby/sport and plan to do most of my detecting on public areas like parks, beaches, grass strips, and public accessible state land. As I've been mulling the activity over, some points of concern have come to mind.

Do I need permission in writing to detect in these kinds of areas? Or - are there particular areas that require written permission?

Is digging, using a small tool like a trowel, an offense that the authorities will give me a fine for? I would think that this is not an issue at beaches, but where there is grass I would think there is some kind of limitation.

Since my goals are for exercise and supplemental income, how does one sell items of value? Is it as simple as walking into a jewelry store and give one's identification and selling the item either directly to the store or on consignment?

What happens if the item is recognized by it's bonifide seller or original owner? I would cheerfully and unhesitatingly restore it to its rightful owner. But can they come back and sue me on some frivolous pretext? One can never be too sure since stranger things have happened.

Is there legislation regulating the use of metal detectors for any reason?

Lastly, I plan to pick up a DFX. Where would I go online to pick one up for the best price? White's seems to be the last place I want to buy from.

I appreciate any and all replies.
Thanx.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW alot of Questions :D
I'll srart at the Top.

Every area is different. your Best bet is to Ask somone in the area you intend to hunt
just to make sure it is OK, Most areas you don't need it in Writing.
Where you do they will usually tell you so when you ask.

Again Digger type & Size dosn't matter here except in State Parks,
But ask when you ask for permission. The only Limit I have is
my self imposed limit of no spade shovels, & if it's a Well manicured yard I'm
being watched in, the smallest Trawel I have.

Gold can be sold at most Coin shops, & some Jewelers.
Same with Silver, But Most items don't realy have a value.
the only things I return are items that have Names or Initials.
or an Item I was asked to find. Forget the Supplimental Income unless you have
10 hours extra Daily & areas loaded with Gold, Silver or Clad

There is all types of Legislation Regulating us, But Paranoia will get you
nowhere. If your Friendly with your Locals & Ask you can't go wrong.
Also learn to pinpoint in your own yard, a Relatives,
or friends before you move to public property. And Always fill your holes
trying to make it look like you never dug there. It is hard at first,
but try your best.

As for Where to Buy. I say Buy from KELLYCO their Icon is on top of the page.
They have been around a Long time, They are reasonable on prices,
& they are Members here, who also Support TreasureNet.

P.S.

Welcome & Feel free to Ask anything, but also Read as much as Possable.

JEFF

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything Jeff said and more. Read all you can about the hobby, subscribe to treasure magazines to get the most fun for your buck.

When you find a nice gold ring that might be worth some real $$$, you won't get much for it from a jewelry store. They make fine gifts for loved ones. If you want to sell it as scrap gold you can sell to Midwest Refineries which pay 94% of spot. Lots more than flea markets.

You should check out the FMDAC website as for laws regarding where to metal detect. As for finding something of value that someone has lost, in most cases the law says the item belongs to the person that lost it regardless of how long ago. However this is also a grey area. It is best that you never show anyone what you found and save the "Happy Dance" for when you get home.

I never use a shovel unless I am in the woods or fields and still cover all my holes. Even on the beach where waves may fill them in I try to pull any sand back in the hole. You never want someone to see where you've been hunting by the holes you leave.

Prices are set by the manufacturers and the prices will only be a couple dollars different from each other if at all.

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
Welcome to T-net!!!

I totally agree with both Jeff and Sandman.

I do have one small statement of my own though.

You don't have to buy a DFX to find good things. That's a huge investment. I wouldn't spend more than 5-6 hundred if it were me. Ask about the different detectors used around here by other members and you'll get all the answers you could ever need. I think if I were just starting out in the hobby, I'd buy an M-6 for my first detector.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think one of the most important things you can do is as Jeff of Pa said, learn to pinpoint in your own yard. I personally think that if one of the reasons you are buying your detector is for supplemental income you might be in for a surprise. Unless you are very lucky you may never find enough to pay for the machine! I'm with you 100% on the exercise part. I personally think that the fun and enjoyment you will receive detecting and the great people on this forum will be worth more than your finds. Welcome and good luck. :) Oh, by the way...MXT forever ;D ;D

lessthanzero

Aug 17, 2007
Southern AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's, they are the BEST......
Come on you guys.....you know that the Minelab X-Terra's are the true path to MD heaven.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would differ with Jeff's advice: "Ask somone in the area you intend to hunt". (assuming your talking about innocuous parks and schools). The reason is, there may not actually be anything specifically prohibiting metal detecting. But you may get a desk-bound bureaucrat who has an image of geeks with shovels, who can merely cite something they think applies, like "don't disturb the vegetation". You may get a "no", when in fact, no one really cared (till you asked).

If you are a skittish sort, just look up into the city's code YOURSELF, to see if there is anything prohibiting detecting. If there isn't, assume that you are ok. Just like: if you are driving, and come to an intersection that doesn't have a sign prohibiting U-turns, then you assume correctly that a U-turn is not dis-allowed. Naturally, use discretion. Just because there may not be something addressing detecting, you can still catch flack if you are making a mess, being a nuisance, etc...

The FMDAC website links only addresses state parks (not city & county level lands). Naturally, since there are oodles of types of state parks in each one's system (some historical, others not, some protected, others not), the easy answer that most state's give to the FMDAC's inquiry is "inquire upon arrival at each park" Now you're back to square one, of being up to the individual's whims, wondering if anyone would really have cared less?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The suggestion to buy an M6 has merit in another respect. It uses the same coils as the DFX so if you decide to mover up or add the DFX anyway, any accessory coils would fit either. Or in reverse if you buy an DFX and add an M6 or MXT as a backup or additional, the coils fit all three. The DFX may be a lot more detector for starting out than you need as it has a considerable learning curve. My two bits.
Bill

OP
OP
67csna

67csna

Nov 23, 2007
Milford, CT
Detector(s) used
Still deciding, probably going to go with a DFX.
To All,
Thanx guys for all the advice - good information, all of it, and for taking the time to reply. I just found out today that two of my coworkers are avid treasure hunters, (Sikorsky offers plenty of OT). Both have been detecting for over twenty years. So I have a little support from them as well. They recommend KellyCo as the source and never to buy local, you just don't get your money's worth.

And thanx for you welcomes.
Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread