Legality Question About Native American Lands/ LAD Searching

Ironwill

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Native Reservations.png

Forgive my ignorance as I leave on the East Coast and Native American Reservations are not even in our vocabulary for the most part.
I'll start by saying that I understand what a Reservation is and that you cannot dig/mine for gold there, but can you actually search or drive around in the reservation with no consequences?
Second...you see the Navajo Off-Reservation Trust Land...What exactly does that mean? Does it hold the same restrictions to someone not of that tribe (like me) as an actual Reservation does? I looked it up and saw that the Government owns it, but it got cloudy after that.

Most of my concerns are with say...Metal detecting, prospecting/mining gold/driving through these areas freely/searching in these areas freely(without disturbing the land)/or free camping on either out of say RV or SUV camper type.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated in helping me understand how all that works out there.
Will

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the reservations I've been through are, for most purposes, just like anyplace else. Public land will have rules like any other public land would, and it will vary by location. Private land is just that -- private land that you'd need the owner's permission to do anything on. State and national parks located within reservations will be governed by the same rules as other state and national parks.

OP
OP
Ironwill

Ironwill

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the reservations I've been through are, for most purposes, just like anyplace else. Public land will have rules like any other public land would, and it will vary by location. Private land is just that -- private land that you'd need the owner's permission to do anything on. State and national parks located within reservations will be governed by the same rules as other state and national parks.
Okay ...another question... I see a lot of fenced in areas... I mean ALOT! Does that automatically mean its private property? I guess I'm asking if the land can still be BLM or GOV owned yet Ranchers can put fences up for their cattle/sheep/whatnot? I'm looking at an area around a mesa that is COMPLETELY fenced in. 18,000 acres fenced in.

Once again, any help is appreciated.

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ironwill --

The Mohave County, AZ BLM field office website has maps (pdf files) posted for north and south Mohave County. Those maps show land ownership or jurisdiction for the whole county, whether BLM, state, or private. See if you can find similar maps for the county where you will be searching. You will need to do a lot of research before you head west to search for the Lost Adams Diggings, and keep in mind that thousands have already been to any place where you might go.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay ...another question... I see a lot of fenced in areas... I mean ALOT! Does that automatically mean its private property?
It doesn't necessarily mean it's private property, but it does mean somebody fenced it, and they had a reason. I would always assume a fence means "ask first". But then I don't assume the lack of a fence means it's OK either. Best to find out who owns the place in question, and if it isn't public, get permission. If it is public and fenced, get permission.

OP
OP
Ironwill

Ironwill

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't necessarily mean it's private property, but it does mean somebody fenced it, and they had a reason. I would always assume a fence means "ask first". But then I don't assume the lack of a fence means it's OK either. Best to find out who owns the place in question, and if it isn't public, get permission. If it is public and fenced, get permission.
Roger that, thanks :P

OP
OP
Ironwill

Ironwill

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay another question... I see the mesa area in question on the Land Matters map....and it shows that its all BLM or STATE land. What I don't understand is why there are ranch houses there, if its BLM? Wouldn't they have to OWN the land to put a house or ranch there?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread