legends from Northern California

T

TreasureTales

Very interesting stories. I think I can debunk a couple of them.

The Cow Creek stories are interesting in that East of Redding there are TWO Cow Creeks. One is called "Cow Creek" and the other is named "Old Cow Creek." I have personally walked the banks of Old Cow Creek several times in my pursuit of the wily wild rainbow trout I have not been back to that stream since the 1960s due to work, family, etc. There is in fact a waterfall (about 30 feet high) that is part of OLD Cow Creek. Perhaps the story has been corrupted through the years and the original stories were about OLD COW CREEK. However, I have never ever heard of anyone finding any gold in that creek and surely if there was gold in it or near it someone would have found some by now.

As far as the story about a rich ledge in Scotts Valley near Kelsey Creek, nope. Although there has been gold found in Lake County and in Kelsey Creek itself, such gold has been associated with hot springs and has been fairly insignificant in amount. There was/is a large gold mining operation at the union of Lake, Napa, and Yolo Counties called the McLaughlin Mine which was developed by Homestake Mining. That gold is far from Kelsey Creek and Scotts Valley and it is not particularly rich, just spread over a somewhat large area. Not a "rich ledge" that's for sure. I had an uncle and aunt who lived in Scotts Valley, Lake County, California for quite a long time and they never said anything about anyone finding any gold in their area. And they knew just about everybody in the area (and in Lakeport) some 30-70 years ago when they were still living.

Have you heard anything about the Hall Cave stash? Hall Cave is real, it's in Trinity County, and the story is famous. That's another interesting story that someone debunked. A few years ago somebody used scuba gear in the water-filled cave and searched the sides and the bottom. NOTHING, but a beer can I think he said. That 2-part article was published in W&E Treasures Magazine a few years ago.

Makes me wonder why/how these stories get started. I'm sure they start out with some facts or evidence but they get screwed up through the years and through the people telling the story. There are sure to be some that pan out, but not many. Makes good reading though. Thanks for posting the link.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, never heard the Hall Cave story. I went to the site of where Fort Reading was located. It's right along Cow Creek. I'm hoping to some day get in there and detect the old fort site. GOTTA be SOMETHING left!

T

TreasureTales

packerbacker said:
Nope, never heard the Hall Cave story. I went to the site of where Fort Reading was located. It's right along Cow Creek. I'm hoping to some day get in there and detect the old fort site. GOTTA be SOMETHING left!

Oh yeah, gotta be something around there still. I've noticed many of the great finds being made by folks are in areas that most of us might walk past. Areas far from the "target zone" so to speak. On the periphery of the main search areas. If you get back in there, you might want to give that some thought, just in case the main area has been hit hard already or been excavated. I hope you'll keep us updated if you get in there.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a big, open field now. I found a hand-drawn map that shows the locations of the different buildings in the fort. Just gotta get in there. I'd like to get in after they do some cultivating but it doesn't look like it's farmed.

T

TreasureTales

packerbacker said:
It's just a big, open field now. I found a hand-drawn map that shows the locations of the different buildings in the fort. Just gotta get in there. I'd like to get in after they do some cultivating but it doesn't look like it's farmed.

Oh man, you're killing me. You could be onto a treasure hunter's dream come true! A place never detected and undisturbed for decades. What is keeping you from going and doing the hunt? You're not letting your family and job and household chores keeping you from it, are you??? ;D The wearther is supposed to turn bad by the end of the week, you should go TOMORROW!!! OK, all joking and cajoling aside...how reliable is the handdrawn map? Was it drawn up when the fort was still intact or afterwards and from someone's memory? I mean, sometimes a map is great and other times they just keep us from going out and using our instincts. Good luck and please keep posting to this thread, I'd enjoy hearing all about your progess, whatever it may be.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the map and legend. I have been to this location. The marker showing where the fort was, 80 rods from the marker, is on the West side of the creek. Note the arrow on the map. Just looking at the map casually, you would think the fort was on the East side of Cow Creek. If the arrow on the map indicates North, the marker is correct and the fort is on the West side. Strange to draw the map that way. Approaching from the road, the first location would have been the carpenter shop.
B Barracks
BK Bakery
CARP SHOP Carpentry Shop
GH Guardhouse
H Hospital
K Kitchen
MECH'S MESS Mechanic's Mess
OQ Officers' Quarters
QM OFF Quartermasters Officce
SH Storehouse
ST Stable

Attachments

• fort.jpg
    fort.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,622
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My estimate is the carp. shop was just past and to the left of the second tree row in this pic. That is the curvature of Cow Creek to the far right of the photo.

Attachments

• FtReading.jpg
    FtReading.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 704
T

TreasureTales

PB, you've got the map, you've got the North/South directions figured out, so I ask again...WHY AREN"T YOU OUT THERE?????? I am drooling as I type this. That area looks awesome. I can almost smell the goodies lying there waiting for you to unearth them. I'm gonna have an anxiety attack if you postpone the treasure hunt any longer. But I'm sure you have your reasons for your delay. Although, I can't imagine what they could be. ;D

Some day (and I hope it's soon) I know you will be posting all kinds of relics and silver & GOLD that you have recovered for the site. And when that day arrives, I'm going to be hooting and hollering for you!!! Good Luck!

mjido

Aug 14, 2007
Western New Mexico
To Treasure Tales,

I sure would be interested in any information concerning the Old Cow Creek. As a kid, which was many,many years ago we use to swim in Cow Creek in some places we found some small caves under the water level, but never swam into any of them. I know of Stilwater, Churn, and Bear Creek, but nothing of the old Cow creek. So any information you could give would be nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread