Lemon Juice & Hydrogen Peroxide Clean

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Ace 250
Lemon Juice & Hydrogen Peroxide Clean

I am quite new to this activity but already have tried at least 4 different coin cleaning methods. Electrolyisis, Distilled water, the baking soda and aluminum foil method and the lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide method. I must say that I have had by far the best results with lemon juice and peroxide. I have read that the only two non destructive methods are distilled water and olive oil so I just keep my special coins in distilled water. I did clean a few wheaties in the lemon juice and peroxide and they came out looking like the day they were minted. I may have "ruined" them, I dont know but they sure came clean (too clean actually) they dont even look old. Has anyone else had this kind of result?
I take 1/8 cup lemon juice and 3/8 cup hydrogen peroxide. I heat the mixture to boiling in the microwave and pour it over the coin I want to clean that I have placed in a small plastic container. I let the item sit in the solution until it is cool. If the coin is clean enough at that point, I am done. If it needs another go around, I brush off the coin with a toothbrush under the faucet and heat the same solution that I have just used in the microwave again. For some reason, the second time I use the solution, it seems to work even better but the third time it isnt worth a darn. Any comments?
Idaho PRB

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Lemon Juice & Hydrogen Peroxide Clean

Is it not acceptable to get a coin too clean? I mean, if it looks new, is that bad? Or does excessive cleaning damage it in some way. (You can tell how many coins I'VE cleaned! >:( )

Noodle :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread