woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on what make & model. Some models are very tolerant of such shenannigans, and others very intolerant.

When it comes to making your own home-brew "pinpointer kinda like a Sunray", that kind of project is a much bigger test of IQ and patience and "constructing stuff" skill than you can possibly imagine. Don't even think those kinds of thoughts, this is really good advice!

I've been in this business for over 30 years, and not even I think those kinds of thoughts. Am quite content to let Sunray play in that particular sandbox without El Paso horning in on Ralph's fun.

--Dave J.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
ok so does the lenght of cable from the detector control to the coil make a difference ? i was thinking i could get a 6ft extention and use the coil under water and keep the box above water also was thinking of building my self a spliter and inline pin pointer kinda like a sunray they dont make one for my model

6 foot is not that much but then you have to deal with resistance at the connectors and they have to be 100% water proof, saltwater, there will be issues.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it isn't the resistance you have to worry about. It is the inter-electrode capacitance!

Most of circuitry used in metal detectors is very low current. Although the resistance in an extra length of cable might cause a minor issue, the inter-electrode capacitance is a bigger issue, depending on factors not in evidence. Even if we knew what the detector was, unless someone was very familiar with the electronics design in question, any answer is arguable!

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hrm, its not really that arguable. Extensions to cable length will add extra factors to signal quality and may adversely affect tuning of the detector to the coil. Depending on the machines abilities to cope with extra interference due to RLC differences as well as environmental factors, ie water salty or not, extension cables will result in some degradation of performance. For VLF detectors short extensions of less than 3 feet should not pose much of a problem. Over that I expect larger degradation of signal quality for the detector.

Give it a try :) Be interesting to see the results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread