Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LET THE RAIN DO IT'S THING

And that would be to saturate the soil and bring out the signals. My part is to swing the coil and be patient.
I took a half day at work today and ran home to pick up the E-Trac. Jumped on the bike and headed to a local park.
At best, I figured I might be able to get in a 4 hour hunt. This park has been hit pretty hard by quite a few NYC
sharpies who like to swing the CTX 3030. I have hit it regularly and the place has gotten really stingy with Silver.

I tried a few areas that I thought no one bothered to check but the only thing I got was a couple of clad quarters and
dimes. The areas I checked were also loaded with dog deposits. Funny that the Parks Enforcement Police rolled up on
me and checked my permit. They are blind to all these dog owners that don't pick up after their dogs but are quick to
check on the guy with the metal detector. I often thought about saving up a laundry bag of Corona bottle caps and
spilling it in front of the Park's Police and asking if drinking beer was permitted in NYC parks.

Well I cherry picked most of the hunt, digging mostly dimes and quarters. Short on time, I tried to be a little more
selective than my usual 8 hour hunts. It paid off, The first silver to show up was a Barber Quarter. That was about 2
1/2 hours into the hunt. I tried 3 areas that have given up a few silvers on previous visits. Finally with about an hour
of sunlight left, I reluctantly moved to a lawn that I know has been searched inch by inch. It paid off. The soil was very
moist and dark in color. I had a feeling. Within 15 minutes I got a screamer at about 8 inches. A Barber Dime. Less
than 15 minutes later, and 3 feet away, a Mercury Dime made it's presence known. Another scream just as the sun
was gone and a second Mercury Dime joined her sister. I started to walk back towards my bike and got a loud signal.
Not a Screamer but a dime signal that sounded pretty good. By now my backlight is on, and I'm trying to find the
target with the light on my Garrett Carrot. I'm night hunting!! What some people won't do for silver. lol
Well the last target had me thinking Tri-Fecta but the shiny silver looking Rosie was just a new clad dime.

My finds for the day were: 20q, 26d, 2n, 16 memorials, 4 Wheat Pennies (44, 46, 52d, & 57d), a 1901 Barber Quarter,
a 1908 Barber Dime and 2 Mercury Dimes, (17 & 44)
I also recovered a Warren G Harding Presidential Token, a pocket knife, a long thimble, an Old Navy Token, and a few
chunks of brass.
My Silver Coin Count for 2015 is now 129.
IMG_1702.JPG IMG_1700.JPG IMG_1703.JPG IMG_1701.JPG IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1705.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 15

digndeep

Jul 28, 2014
cambridge,md
Detector(s) used
Xp ORX, whites v3, whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great silver saves!,very productive hunt..the barber quarters on my hit list!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE REALLY DID HIS THING AND HOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT ALL THE SILVERS , MAN . NICE COIN CACHE .

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I believe that they check for your Permit every time you go to the Park. Maybe good next time, Pick up one of those doggy bags and scoop some poop in it and tell them that you think you found the Lost Gold Ring that a person on Craigslist said her dog swallowed, offer it to him. Thanks for sharing goldnugget

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is what I love to see when that much silver can still be found when the area has been searched inch by inch by other detectorists.

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad that's not an s mint mark barber, you could buy 5 new detectors if it was :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt "wind". Those are 4 nice silvers. Must have been your cheerleader chicken friend !

fredbug 67

Oct 12, 2013
Mahwah,NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -XP Deus-
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt in a tough area and love the silver- still haven't connected with a Barber of any type,but I know I will.was the rooster in a NYC park?

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great old coin saves man!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Too bad that's not an s mint mark barber, you could buy 5 new detectors if it was :occasion14:

Really?:)

Nice results from a hard hit park, it just shows that moisture and the digging desire will produce the finds.
Have you ever done the slope above the retaining wall? I tend to do the off the beaten tracks in the parks because what we use today isn't what was used a hundred years ago.
What's up with the bird-is that a Rooster? :)

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:occasion14:..an inspirational hunt !!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Finds, esp Barbers. & from a Hunted Hard Park.
&
PERMIT?
How much do they make you pay to clean up the park?

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Wind.... jealous.

And you are very correct... it's almost getting too dry to do anyone's lawn here in MN. I have to stick to field sites so I don't piss people off!

That Barber is just a beautiful coin isn't it? You see that big silver eagle come out of the ground and you know it's going to be a great day!

Excellent finds! Fun stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread