LETS DO IT TRI-STATE AREA NY/NJ/CT!!

T

TreasurdiggrNY

LET'S DO IT TRI-STATE AREA NY/NJ/CT!!

Hello Fellow Members,

I am sure there are a lot of members from the Tri-State areas of NY/NJ/CT.

How about getting together for a hunt this spring? I am thinking a Saturday or Sunday, early A.M. start, sometime in April or May would be a good starting point to consider?

Please don't suggest Mothers Day or Memorial day weekend, I have done some fishing get-togethers and the days just don't work out.

I will sort through the replies and keep you updated on what is shaping up to be the best place and time. I would like to get the day and location confirmed by the end of February so.... all you need to give me for right now is some info like:
1. Saturday or Sunday in April or May you want to get together, Mothers Day and Memorial Day weekend excluded.
2. Site recommendation

Once we decide on the day and location I will start a new thread so we can discuss other things like food and drinks, who needs a ride, who can bring what etc.

I will hunt anytime/ anywhere I have no preference, I am just as happy on the beach as I am in the mud.

I think it would be nice to get out with a bunch of other Tnet Members for a day of fun.

Glenn

ROMEX

Apr 8, 2007
Binghamton NY AREA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE,FISHER F-75, Whites DFX, BH TR550-D
Re: LET'S DO IT TRI-STATE AREA NY/NJ/CT!!

Sounds like a great idea, we will get more ideas as more people read

ROMEX

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

Sounds like a good time! Joe

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

Sounds like a plan Glenn.. Unfortunately I can't plan that far into the future; some kind of A.D.D. disorder  ??? ;D
But I'll keep checking in for more details.

Harry...

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco

I'll go... I can probably go on just about any weekend .Ill keep watchin for details.Have any sites been mentioned yet?.Ive been researching Franklin mass all day and i didnt even know the Library 3 blocks away is the 1st loaning library in the nation and a small brick school 1 mile away is the 1st 1 room school and still functions today.The library has a collection of writings from Benjamin Franklin who donated them instead of the bell they requested.He said something like'' Knowledge is better then Noise''therefor they changed the old town name of Exeter to Franklin in 1785.The 1st settlers came in 1660ish i believe...I may already have a full plate here but i like hunting with others better.Keep in touch

ikes4ever

Nov 27, 2007
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 1000 and DFX

I would be intrested please keep us updated

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Hi Everyone,
This thread has generated a lot of views and some replies so far that's great!!. I have been asking around for some good sites that will accommodate a group. I am still waiting to hear back from a couple of folks.

I think a beach would be a good spot, water, wet sand and dry sand for all machines. I wanted to suggest Orchard Beach which is in the Bronx, I've never hunted there before but this spot is pretty convenient to everyone from the tri-state area.

Let me know what you think, keep checking in and more site suggestions from anyone is appreciated and welcomed.

I also want to thank fellow Treasurenet member Joe(USA) who read this thread at his metal detecting club's monthly meeting the other day, here is a link to their website. http://www.greattreasure.com/index.html they have some great info on their site.

Glenn

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe

Sounds like a great idea! I will see :)
HH,
Donny

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

Orchard Beach sounds great, there are also large picnic areas and wooded areas there too. Some history too, it used to be an island with some sort of makeshift cabin resort pre 1930's or earlier. Before they filled it in and connected it to the mainland.. Lots of parking too, and it's free off season. Concession stands are open all year I think, and they sell beer.. Count me in. Have been wanting to hunt there. Just don't try to get in there during the summer it's a mad house..

Harry..

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Hey folks,

Sorry to bust your bubble but there's very little on Orchard Beach. Best time to md Orchard Beach is in the summer when the crowds are there. I've been there at least once a month since October and have found a total of $1.26. In fact I was there last month and found one penny. Another md'er found about 20 cents, so unless we salt the beach first I really don't think it's worth it. The beach is only a mile long and very narrow so even a few people would be finished very quickly. I'd suggest one of the Long Island beaches, Jones or Robert Moses, or if you want to drive a while Montauk.

I'm definitely interested in joining the party, please let us know what is decided.

Thanks,
Sue

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

xenaskm said:
Hey folks,

Sorry to bust your bubble but there's very little on Orchard Beach. Best time to md Orchard Beach is in the summer when the crowds are there. I've been there at least once a month since October and have found a total of $1.26. In fact I was there last month and found one penny. Another md'er found about 20 cents, so unless we salt the beach first I really don't think it's worth it. The beach is only a mile long and very narrow so even a few people would be finished very quickly. I'd suggest one of the Long Island beaches, Jones or Robert Moses, or if you want to drive a while Montauk.

I'm definitely interested in joining the party, please let us know what is decided.

Thanks,
Sue

Thanks for the info on Orchard Beach Sue, That area was probably the most convenient to anyone from the tri-state area. Long Island beaches are a good idea. I'll look into the permit info as I was for Orchard. If anyone reading knows the permit info on L.I. feel free to post it up.
Thanks!
Glenn

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

Hi Glenn,
Sue may be right about Orchard Beach not producing much. Probably due to it's relatively small size and the fact that every body within a 20 mile radius of that beach has pounded it.. I mentioned, in my last post, the large picnic areas and woods that surround the beach.
Checking my permit I see that those areas may be off-limits. Permit says only areas "seaward of any structures or vegetation". Oh well..
I think the idea of Long Island Beaches is a nice one, however I don't think it would be fair to our friends in Upstate NY, Westchester, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc... I mean even for me, from the North Bronx to Long Island Beaches means an early wake up and a big pain in the neck commute. And more than likely you won't be seeing me there..
We should choose a more centralized location so that people in the outer regions of the city would have a more equal commute. I think you'll get a much better turn out.. Just one more thing to take into consideration is that not everybody has a beach detector..
This isn't an easy order to fill but it's a fair one for everybody.. More participation and fun for everyone.

Harry..

metalman

Dec 16, 2004
franklin square new york

Thanks for the info on Orchard Beach Sue, That area was probably the most convenient to anyone from the tri-state area. Long Island beaches are a good idea. I'll look into the permit info as I was for Orchard. If anyone reading knows the permit info on L.I. feel free to post it up.
Thanks!
Glenn
the permit fee is 20.00 and the permit does not cover all parks on l.i.. the new york city park permit is free but not sure what parks are covered other than orchard beach.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

You guys can definately count me in on this one..........just an idea and in consideration of everyone else, the venue should probably be within the city's five boroughs because this way anyone can get a free permit from the city for the day as opposed to paying 20 dollars to hunt out in the island for one day. That is what a permit to hunt LI costs from what I understand. To get a city permit, all anyone has to do is send a copy of their driver's license and the permit is on its way free. There are some big parks here in the city that would accomodate any number, places like Prospect Park, Forrest Park, etc. I'm pretty sure LI Tom and Joe G would want to participate. The bst way to spread the word on this is to PM the link to people you think will be interested. I can think of a few.

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Prospect Park or Forest Park are great choices, thanks Ricardo. I copied the NYC Parks Department Permit info below. It was on their FAQ Page and reads:

How can I obtain a Metal Detecting Permit?
In order to process the request for a permit, please provide the following: a copy of a valid state ID or driver's license, telephone number, and address. This information should be mailed to Arsenal North, 1234 Fifth Avenue, Room 213, New York, NY 10029. Once this information is received, we will process the request and mail the permit directly to you.

I would add a note saying you are requesting a metal detecting permit.

Glenn

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Hello Glenn,
Prospect Park would probably be the better of the two, it's older and larger. In any event, I believe the NYC permit to be the easiest and most cost effective (Free) for anyone to obtain no matter where they are. I don't mind paying $20 to get a permit to hunt out in LI, etc, but only if I am going to use it more than once, you know what I mean? I would also recommend the long stretch of Riverside Drive Park, but that is in Manhattan and parking would be tough. Another option that would nicely favor the Jersey crew would be Silver Lake or Clove Lake parks in Staten Island. These are also on the permit and they are large, I've been to both on fishing trips. Let's keep this thread updated, spring is around the corner.

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

This is really starting to roll, I posted some links to a few of the parks suggested by Ricardo_NY1, he and Joe G. and LI Tom do some great stuff together.
Clove Lakes Park on Staten Island http://nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/historical_signs/hs_historical_sign.php?id=7659

Prospect Park in Brooklyn
http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/park_info_pages/park_info.php?propID=B073

Silver Lake Park on Staten Island is right next to Clove Lakes Park above
http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/park_info_pages/park_info.php?propID=R022

Forest Park in Queens
http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/park_info_pages/park_info.php?propID=Q015

xtimgx

Mar 17, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID

I live in South Jersey and I may be involved!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread