Lets here your best tip for finding artifacts.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know we all have our secrets of finding artifacts and dont want to give them all away or everyone will be doing it. But I need some new ideas with the way its going or I will have to find another hobby soon. So lets hear some new discoveries that you experienced hunters have come to find artifacts with. I will give 1 to start it off. Thanks, rock

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is mine.
I have found if you hunt a creek and it has beavers, otters, coons or muskrats in the creek you will find more artifacts due to these animals dig into the banks and make dens. They usually do it around trees growing on the banks which often will dig artifacts loose and then will drop into the creek. When the creek rises the water then will knock some into the water. I have hunted creeks that dont support beavers and other critters like coons and dont find much of anything.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't beat old aerial maps. If ya know a structure used to be there, chances are there's something in the ground. Working on a whole town right now off an aerial map from the 50's. Town was founded in 1894. It could keep me busy for years. Just about could dig anywhere. Just wish I could find more aerials.

Good Luck & HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you call your local "one call before you dig" for your area they have really good maps broke down into township, range and sections will all the creeks, streams and rivers marked, I found them really useful...

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are creek hunting and there is debris like broken limbs, cinder blocks, boards, etc. stuck in sand bars after a big washing rain use a garden rake or hand leaf rake and go thru the sand on the upstream side. You will find if glass shards get stuck there so will pottery and flakes. Anywhere glass shards settle so will pottery and crockery because they are similar consistency.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best tip I can think of is stop using you imagination to turn a rock into an artifact....Just because a rock fits in your hand or has features you can form into a shape using your imagination doesn't mean it is an artifact, 99.995 of the time it is just a rock....Every pointed rock is not an artifact, Mother nature is real good at forming rocks that man's imagination tries to see something in.....

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post!

Here are some tips & guidelines that any hunter (green or seasoned) should know and utilize... "Point Hunting 101".

1. The absolute golden rule is -NEVER- put points in your pocket. Keep 'em in your hand or carry a finds box with batting/cotton balls/etc.

2. Always try to have the sun overhead or slightly in front of you. Don't be the guy surface hunting in his own shadow. This has ZERO to do with hunting for "glints"... And has everything to do with just good lighting in general.

3. Hit your search area from more than 1 direction.

4. KEEP A RECORD OF YOUR FINDS... Even if your a weekend warrior/casual hunter. It doesn't have to be professional, anything is better than nothing. Could be as simple as a photo and text such as "found along the _____ river" or "found in _____ county" - Even if for no other reason than your future grandkids knowing the backstory of an inherited collection.

5. Any recordable precipitation wipes the slate clean. Depending on your soil type / regional conditions, wind can have the same effect. Get back out there.

6. There is absolutely, 100% without a doubt no difference in a perfect point or a "broke". They're both artifacts that contribute to the historical record and should be held in the same regard.

7. If it actually -is- an "arrowhead", awesome... If you put forth the effort to do the hunting, learn the basics of identification. Some slang is acceptable - But know what a "bird point" actually is.

8. Nodules/Cobbles/Shelves (base material) --> Primary Reduction Flakes --> Secondary Reduction Flakes --> Cores --> Preforms --> Production Flakes --> Points.

This was the manufacturing process. No matter where you hunt, these steps will have been utilized. Your specific region dictates the locations of the different stages of debitage you will encounter. In some areas, every step of this process was completed locally... In other areas, you will have to follow the manufacturing process over a distance to find the end products.

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Duplicate post, stupid tablet.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is mine.
I have found if you hunt a creek and it has beavers, otters, coons or muskrats in the creek you will find more artifacts due to these animals dig into the banks and make dens. They usually do it around trees growing on the banks which often will dig artifacts loose and then will drop into the creek. When the creek rises the water then will knock some into the water. I have hunted creeks that dont support beavers and other critters like coons and dont find much of anything.

There are 3 groundhog holes that come out of the bank of my creek and water runs down them when it rains, they are all prime spots for the artifacts I find. Today I had a minute in there and really gave it a lot of thought to dig in them some lol

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some research on your hunting area or the area you want to hunt and get permission to be on that land. Look close to water ways ,just remember what is a dry drain now had water in it back in the day. You have to put in a lot of time and walking, just because you have not found much in 5 trips does not mean it's a lost cause. NEVER believe this saying ( there is nothing in that field or creek it has been walked out). If you are going to walk fields and creeks , 3in of rain makes it a new ball game. This may sound stupid but know what you are looking for, you would not go deer hunting and not know for sure what a deer looks like, so read and then read some more. If you can hook up with someone else that artifact hunts in your area and they may give you some pointers for the area, but don't think they are going to take you to their hot spot. Most of all just enjoy your time in the field, a day with just a piece of pottery or a broken point is still a good day.

tonymc2

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2012
Jasper,Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my best luck hunting Indian artifacts on the south side of a hill with a creek or river near by the land flooded more back then they didnt have flood control dams to hold back the water so they camped on higher ground but a few hundred yards from water, The south side of a hill kept the north winds off but when you find a good spot that you start finding flint keep it to your self the last time I took a friend to my honey hole he pulls out a large spear head perfect that I would found, If you are looking in the creek beds look for bell shape rocks with a pencel hole in the top they are weights for throw nets, Look for lots of old snails and mussel shells it may be a place where they camped, Find a place that gets plowed near a creek
with a hill close you can hunt it for many years and find new stuff every time it gets plowed,Hope this will help you on your hunt and good luck hunting !!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow "Americus"! On second thought that won't work because you wouldn't find anything but depressions where the points had been.:laughing7:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old water that connects to other old water

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old water that connects to other old water
Bingo.
Tributary hunting always results in a payday around here (TX Hill Country). It's all about feeder creeks-to-rivers... most of our lakes are products of either the CCC (1930's) or COE (1950's).

~Tejaas~

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Areas to look? If you want to hunt an area not close to any stream, you may want to search any area near a live spring. Hunt an area where there are mineral licks, these areas would have been good areas to hunt game. Also as gator has mentioned, hunt the area where a small stream or river connects with another.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For creeks, if you have obstacles in your creek that have been there a long time, and you're able to move them or get a shovel under them, shovel the muck in a floating 1/4" or 1/2" screen. You might get lucky. (Know your states laws.) If you have farms in your area, politely, courteously, and bravely introduce yourself and ask permission to surface hunt...you never know. If you are lucky enough to have some acreage with springs or creeks, study your property for possibilities. And (possibly) contact archeologists if you think you have something significant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread