• DSC08439s.JPG
    DSC08439s.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 745

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Re: Let's play identify the artifact :)

Hmmmmm,
A couple of questions first would probably help. 1) What type of metal is it made from, and 2) What type of ship did it come from?

If it is steel, then maybe a hanging bracket for a galley cookpot?

Other guesses would be something to hang a hammock from, bracket to control a cannon, or maybe something more sinister: a way to route a chain through for restraints/shackles (i.e. slave trade).

But that's just off the top of my head. Will do some actual research and try and figuire it out.

BTW, do YOU know what it is? (I like this kind of stuff on the forum...Thanks for posting it ;-)
Mike

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

That's an interesting piece Rich...looks iron to me, and old. Too flimsy to be heavy rigging or anchor hardware, maybe it's a lantern hangar. :D Seriously, I have no idea, but thanks for posting it...did you find this near the site we talked about earlier today? If so, I'd say it's around the right period.

Jason

OP
OP
CaribbeanDiver

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004

I guess I didn't decribe the size correctly. The bolt on the end is 2 feet long and a good 4 inches in diameter. It is massive. Weights about 50 lbs total.

It is from a ship circa 1700 and yes it is iron. One oddity is it looks like the name of the ship has been carved in the side of the main beam. Either the name or a bunch of lines that our optimistic brains have re-arranged into the name....

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

It appears to be a piece of rigging. Small deadeye maybe. Maybe not sail rigging but definitely something to tie something down. Narked1 had some interesting scenarios. Cannon tie down?

Robert

OP
OP
CaribbeanDiver

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004

Here is a photo before the encrustation was removed to give a better idea of the size.

Attachments

• DSC08423s.JPG
    DSC08423s.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 678

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt

CB,
Where was it found in relation to the rest of the ship? Since you mentioned that the ship's name appeared to have been engraved in the main beam, which we are to assume means that it was near the artifact. This could mean that this artifact had some ceremonial context such as a place for holding prisoners or for administering corporal punishment (floggings). The measurements that you have given seem to be about right for this sort of thing.

Mike

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

For what it is worth I believe it was used to as a slave chain holder.
There should be another one around somewhere.
A slave chain holder is where a chain used to hold the slaves would go through the ancle holders and be locked at one end. To release the prisoners or slaves one would have to unlock one end and the chain could then be passed through the anckle loops.
Just my opinion. But when I first saw this object the thought was SLAVE.
PER LEG

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt

Wouldn't make sense for a way to route leg iron chains. The piece is too piece without the bolt is too long. And the way the main body of the artifact is bent indicates to me that it was designed to hang something (someone) away from a wall or bulkhead. If the piece was bolted into a deck, as most slave restraints were in the 1800's, the round loop of the artifact would stand almost 24-inches above the deck, which doesn't seem economical in restraining slaves. If it was installed in a bulkhead at a level equal to ankle height, then is would be 24-inches away from the bulkhead which would mean a waste of "storage space" for slaves. Additionally, the artifact is a bit too complicated for a common slave restraint. There's more to this piece than meets the eye methinks...

Mike

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

I have to agree. Mike's deductions seem logical and this piece just seems way too big for a chain guide. I will stick with my first thought.

Robert

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt

OK, Throwing out another idea here. Robert may be right in that it is a piece of rigging. Question, how wide were accomodation ladders on ships of this era (I don't know). Could it be possible that this was used to hang a deadeye on (or not) in order to raise and lower the a-comm ladder? The presence of the ship's name in the area may also lend credence to this theory. However, not knowing where it was found on the wrecksite it is all speculation at this point really. Just trying to stimulate thought processes here.

We should play this game more often! :-)`
Mike

OP
OP
CaribbeanDiver

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004

It was found in the stern near swival cannons.

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005

The object is a chain plate. The fasteners went into the side of the vessel or into a vertical brace or knee. The hinge went around a spreader. The round part held a deadeye. It is a bit on the small side so I would guess it was from a smaller part of the rig, possibly the mizzen or a bobstay...transom stay ne/ boom. That type of boom was used to control the clew of the mizzen.
Splash,
Donovan

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005

I just realized that my last post might be a bit confusing. The object is called a chainplate even though there is no chain attached. As it was used in other parts of the rig that required more spreader angle, more links of chain would be added by necessity to round the larger spreaders. This would be on the mainsail or foresail, which were under more strain than the mizzen. These other fore sails had multiple chain plates and larger spreaders to cope with the greater size and strain on the rig.
Donovan

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I concur with Donovan.

Especially since Jim Sinclair offered a similar evaluation:

This is standing rigging - a stanchon actually, it would have been attached to the side of the vessel by the bolt and the circular loop would have at one time held a deadeye.

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005

The dead eyes were more or less standard sizes depending on how and where they were used. The deadeye would be cut then rasped to shape then placed in the loop of iron, which was somewhat larger than the dead eye. The iron below the dead eye was pounded in a jig to take up the excess space then wrapped with cord, tightened with a fid, then tarred and wrapped and tarred again. When it was judged properly done it was called, " all a tanto." Or.... tight enough.
If you look at a modern sailboat the same basic fittings are still in use today. They have simply evolved into different shapes based upon the modern use of more refined materials and engineering.
Back in the old days that entire boat, every anchor, plank, rope, tool, fastener and fitting was made by hand. No machines were cranking out screws, nails or dead eyes. Everything was hand made.
Donovan

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

If it was near the shower it might be a towel ring ;D. Just Kidding! It looks massive, and obviously holds something in place. Maybe you will find more parts that will let you figure it out. Look at old drawings of ships, and sometimes things pop out at you.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

it could be a dead eye,if it is,its a modern one say from the 1800's on up.i have a book that is the making of the deadeye plus has dates for different styles.i loaned the book to a friend,ill get it back tomorrow an look up your deadeye.heres some very small pics from my book that shows some differnt styles.an you may want to see if you can find the wood that was in the ring,its made out of lignum vitae its a very hard wood,most likely its around down there somewhere,very heavy wood,will last a lifetime in or out of the water.heres a pic of me with my 1600 era deadeye as well.

Attachments

• LotImg19626.jpg
    LotImg19626.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 504
  • LotImg19627.jpg
    LotImg19627.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 509
  • LotImg19628.jpg
    LotImg19628.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 488
  • LotImg19629.jpg
    LotImg19629.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 482
  • LotImg19630.jpg
    LotImg19630.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 485
  • deadeye1.jpg
    deadeye1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 498
OP
OP
CaribbeanDiver

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004

That's awesome! This one was early 1700's. Great info, and great pic thanks.

:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions