MineralsAndThings

May 5, 2014
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_6503.JPG
Someone told me what they think it is but I want to see more opinions. The nails also if you want to look and see what they are. The buckle is not that big as you can see by the coins there. The nails are well rusted but the shape is still good. As for the land where they have been found it was once farm land. The buckle is not that heavy at all and looks to be broken. That is all I can really honestly tell you.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bridle or yoke buckle...a simple guess

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MineralsAndThings wrote:
> As for the land where they have been found it was once farm land.

The majority of iron buckles we dig on farm land are horse or mule harness buckles. Some examples are wagon-harness buckles and plow-harness buckles, as well as saddlery and bridle buckles. You'd be amazed at how many buckles are on wagon-pulling harnesses. See the diagram below.

Because your buckle is a typical "generic" rectangular form, and its tongue is missing, there's no way to know with certainty what type of harness it came from... nor, a way to time-date it with any accuracy.

About the iron nails you found:
I cannot tell from your photo whether they are round-bodied or square/rectangular-bodied nails. (Relic-diggers simply call the latter type "square-nails.") Round-bodied nails are mostly from the late-1800s through today. Square/rectangular-bodied nails are mostly pre-1900. There's no way to NARROWLY time-date them.

Attachments

• horsegear_diagram_hames&harness&trace-chains_TN_postedbyBonMate.jpg
    horsegear_diagram_hames&harness&trace-chains_TN_postedbyBonMate.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MineralsAndThings

MineralsAndThings

May 5, 2014
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both. What you told me is similar to what the other person told me also. Mostly with the buckle and as for the nails most of what was said was the same or about the same. Dating for all four is around 1700-1900. Thank you again and I know the photo is terrible that's what you get with an iPod though sometimes.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread