Lets See The 1500 and 1600s Coins Dug In The US

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's See The 1500 and 1600s Coins Dug In The US

After seeing the post by button king of his 16th century Lizzie it really got me wondering. How many hunters in the states and Canada have found a 1500s coin? I have a good friend here in Maine that found a cut 16th century silver and he's found a Jeton as well(I know a Jeton isn't a coin.) so I wanted to see some of these. I figured I'd add in the 17th century coins cause I think it'd be a pretty small list if not....and I love seeing these early ones. So bring em on guys and gals. You've seen mine so I won't bore you with those again. Since they still haven't really gone away lol.
I wish I could change the title to include my Canadian brothers. Of course I want to see yours and apologize for the title

Last edited:
Upvote 12

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I do have a coin to add! I forgot about my super rare 1612 Tiffin Token from Canada! I have been working on my photo skills as well:tongue3:

VPR

Attachments

• 003_1_1.JPG
    003_1_1.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 434

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have a coin to add! I forgot about my super rare 1612 Tiffin Token from Canada! I have been working on my photo skills as well:tongue3:

VPR

That reminds me of what I did one April 1st on another forum. I posted a Barber quarter, acted excited saying it was my first, but photoshopped it to be an impossible date. Wasn't more than a few replies until someone pointed it out and everyone was either fired up, or perplexed, or both, until I filled them in. :)

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
That reminds me of what I did one April 1st on another forum. I posted a Barber quarter, acted excited saying it was my first, but photoshopped it to be an impossible date. Wasn't more than a few replies until someone pointed it out and everyone was either fired up, or perplexed, or both, until I filled them in. :)

Some poeple are quite good at photoshop. My skills still need a little sharpening.

VPR

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some poeple are quite good at photoshop. My skills still need a little sharpening.

VPR

Lol I wonder how many people are googling 1612 Tiffin Token? Thinking it must be really rare lol. Yeah your photoshop skills and Vinos photography skills are about equal

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VPR

Mine are good enough to pull it off. It was simply just cutting and pasting one number over another, so everything looked good including the color.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I wonder how many people are googling 1612 Tiffin Token? Thinking it must be really rare lol. Yeah your photoshop skills and Vinos photography skills are about equal

The 1612 Tiffin looks like a Chinese fake, and Vino's pics some type of ancient Chinese eye torture. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1612 Tiffin looks like a Chinese fake, and Vino's pics some type of ancient Chinese eye torture. :laughing7:

Yep he can figure out his $3000 detector but he can't take a pic that's clear and not sideways lol

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep he can figure out his $3000 detector but he can't take a pic that's clear and not sideways lol

Thats because im not a glory hound like some people i know...lol..

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats because im not a glory hound like some people i know...lol..

You would be if you could learn how to use a camera lol. Maybe your wife or your little girl can teach you some day. It's really pretty easy bud. Point and shoot. Just wait for it to focus, and press the button. Point and shoot

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I understand what your looking for in this post,but not really a good way to do it if you ask me.(and I know you didn't :laughing7: ). But really once again it's about coins not what turns up the most on a certain site.I've got a few coins that date back to 17th century I've found but do I use that coin to say that site is 17th century no.I use what seems to be the over all finds from a site which I think gives a better idea of how old a site is.Just like for me here coins just don't turn up much at any of my sites really.But the relics are there.And once I find a good % of them dateing to the era with out much other mixed in then I can feel better about saying what I think the age of the site is.It's the long harped on deal for me as I see guy's posting a old coin but looking at their other finds if & when they show them nothing else says that's the time frame they are digging.Yes a old coin is cool/nice to find/& all but when it happens it seems logic get tossed out the window as the mind seems to get focus on it's age not what else was dug on the site or is the coin really any better of a find then say a buckle or buttons that seem to be dateing the over all finders site better.Just saying my views,coins might be worth more in most cases far as $ but the historical value get's over looked a lot when it comes to other finds & even sites here in the U.S..As when you start talking those dates everything should be a prize & looked at much different just because it's rare to find items dateing those time frames.Anyway all that said relics that date to those time frames for me I got them can find them far more then coins over all.Which tells me & I say me cause of what I stated above that I'm lucky to be in a area that will produce very old finds.Finds that when looked at on the overall scale says there were actually people here 16th 17th century not just a random coin used for years & lost.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I understand what your looking for in this post,but not really a good way to do it if you ask me.(and I know you didn't :laughing7: ). But really once again it's about coins not what turns up the most on a certain site.I've got a few coins that date back to 17th century I've found but do I use that coin to say that site is 17th century no.I use what seems to be the over all finds from a site which I think gives a better idea of how old a site is.Just like for me here coins just don't turn up much at any of my sites really.But the relics are there.And once I find a good % of them dateing to the era with out much other mixed in then I can feel better about saying what I think the age of the site is.It's the long harped on deal for me as I see guy's posting a old coin but looking at their other finds if & when they show them nothing else says that's the time frame they are digging.Yes a old coin is cool/nice to find/& all but when it happens it seems logic get tossed out the window as the mind seems to get focus on it's age not what else was dug on the site or is the coin really any better of a find then say a buckle or buttons that seem to be dateing the over all finders site better.Just saying my views,coins might be worth more in most cases far as $ but the historical value get's over looked a lot when it comes to other finds & even sites here in the U.S..As when you start talking those dates everything should be a prize & looked at much different just because it's rare to find items dateing those time frames.Anyway all that said relics that date to those time frames for me I got them can find them far more then coins over all.Which tells me & I say me cause of what I stated above that I'm lucky to be in a area that will produce very old finds.Finds that when looked at on the overall scale says there were actually people here 16th 17th century not just a random coin used for years & lost.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Thanks Pete. I really was just trying to see how many people have turned up coins dating back that far. Seeing that 1592 got me wondering how many on here have actually found 16th century coins. I totally agree that it's a poor way to date a site. And I threw the 1600s in there just because I selfishly want to see them lol

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you saying buddy,no biggie.Just think people should understand it should be just as important to find anything that old.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's See The 1500 and 1600s Coins Dug In The US

I know what you saying buddy,no biggie.Just think people should understand it should be just as important to find anything that old.:thumbsup:

Oh I agree with you 100%. Only problem with that thread is that I think we'd see a lot of stuff that people weren't really sure about. At least with a coin you know the year. But I'm with you on the importance of those early relics. They tell a more personal tale and that's the stuff I really enjoy finding

Last edited:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I disagree with you 100%. Only problem with that thread is that I think we'd see a lot of stuff that people weren't really sure about. At least with a coin you know the year. But I'm with you on the importance of those early relics. They tell a more personal tale and that's the stuff I really enjoy finding
By that then you sound like your saying a coin from the 1500-1600's tell the way of a site :icon_scratch: Is the finder of a coin that dates 1500-1600's sure about the age of the site just from that coin?? I disagree.Relics can be dated just as well as coins for the most part if the homework gets done on them.Which kinda goes with what I'm saying people don't take interest because it's not a coin.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's usually a coin that dates a site, a relic can cover a much wider date range, you don't get that with a dated coin.:coffee2:

SS

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Maybe I replied to quick disreguard the above statement.That's one of the problems with things over the computer:thumbsup:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me I think people hold on to coins much longer then clothing & other items.Even to this day people still do.I mean people don't through away money but they change & get rid of fashions.But that's my opinion we all have them.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By that then you sound like your saying a coin from the 1500-1600's tell the way of a site :icon_scratch: Is the finder of a coin that dates 1500-1600's sure about the age of the site just from that coin?? I disagree.Relics can be dated just as well as coins for the most part if the homework gets done on them.Which kinda goes with what I'm saying people don't take interest because it's not a coin.

That was supposed to say I agree with you not disagree lol. Good old spell check. I basically just started this thread strictly because of the 1592 coin found in Maryland. It just made me wonder how many from that age have been found by Tnet members. I don't disagree with anything you're saying. It's kinda like when someone says let's see the GW buttons found. I was just keeping this to the coin category because they are easily dated. I would love to see a relics thread as well. They're just a bit harder to date then a coin with the year on it. But I appreciate everything you're saying

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread