Let’s see those flipping sticks

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I doubt many remember Arrowheadology
But I used to have a thread about making flipping sticks. I’ve probably made at least 100 and used them for trading permissions on properties. I’ve got a few left for myself that I use for flipping sticks. I’ve been known to use tater rakes but that was before I learned how to make them. I will add some pictures later this evening. There are many types people like to use. I’ve heard of some taking broom sticks and adding a nail to one end. I prefer a discarded beaver stick that is a medium size cause they are strong enough to hold my weight. But if you have a favorite stick post it up.

Upvote 6

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Back in the early 80s I used a golf club without the head. I liked it a lot since it could be used against a crazy animal if it came at me, but I did not care for the high shine chrome, so I put electrical tape on it to help reduce the glare.

Before that I would just use a stick off of a close tree. If long enough it doubled to help stabilize when walking across a creek when the creek was too wide to jump.

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SE Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only one I have. It's going on year 13 now.

Attachments

• 20230917_161728.jpg
    20230917_161728.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 72

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_5229.jpeg

This count as 5 or one?… I tried taping a screwdriver to a broom handle once but it fell apart quickly. after I abandoned the screwdriver and tried just the handle i picked up mud from the field and eventually I was covering things up with mud more than I was flipping them.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've made many many over the years. This is the one I've used for the last decade or so. Also just made one for Donna my wife. Don't have any pics of it yet and I'll try and get some soon. Mine is beaver-gnawed poplar and hers is beaver-gnawed dogwood.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 37
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 40

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A flipping stick is used when arrowhead hunting to uncover flint that is barely showing in hopes of upending an arrowhead.
When I went to the lake to hunt I always grabbed a beaver stick. Then one day I had a stand off with a couple of dogs. After that I made a 6’ staff out of Osage and always use it.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
View attachment 2105687
This count as 5 or one?… I tried taping a screwdriver to a broom handle once but it fell apart quickly. after I abandoned the screwdriver and tried just the handle i picked up mud from the field and eventually I was covering things up with mud more than I was flipping them.
The sticks help with your back so you don’t have to bend over as much. I use them in creeks for support while walking. They have saved me many times from slip and fall and also from stepping in mud holes. I use them to check the bottom for hard pan while walking. Nothing worse than stepping into a mud hole and sinking waist deep or deeper. If you aren’t walking then it doesn’t matter

magua

Sep 18, 2022
I had never heard of that term. I’ve tripped over flipping sticks and flipping rocks while out hunting though.

Does mine qualify as a flipping stick? It’s an old secret Wakanabi “flipping stick “.

Attachments

• IMG_6414.jpeg
    IMG_6414.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6413.jpeg
    IMG_6413.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Mine is also my mushroom hunting stick, for pushing tall grass/weeds away to improve the ground view.
It has a copper pipe fitting part way up the shaft to cover a small crack in the shaft. I use it mostly to assist me from kneeling to standing when looking at rocks. I flip with it too.

Attachments

• IMG_2020.jpeg
    IMG_2020.jpeg
    983.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread