Lets see your veggies

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see your veggies

One of my sons and I decided to put a garden in part of his unused property this year. It has been a lot of fun so far. We hope to have one twice as big next year. We'll be able to feed the multitude! We have about 35 tomato plants of various kinds and all sorts of squashes, melons, corn, cilantro, beans, peas, basil, dill, different types of onions, 12 jalapeno plants, about 20 or so bell pepper plants of various types, sweet peppers, eggplant and whatever I'm forgeting. He put in 5 watermelon hills alone with 3 plants per hill. That's a lot of melons. We got the garden in late but we are already eating golden squash and zucchini.

Attachments

• gard5.jpg
    gard5.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 641
  • gard8.jpg
    gard8.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 641
  • gard15.jpg
    gard15.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 630

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Re: Let's see your veggies

Beautiful Garden PackerBacker.

Not only will it save you a bunch of cash, you and your son have that quality time together growing it!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share.

I hope you all have a bountiful harvest.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho

Beautiful PB,

I love to grow a garden, but where I live in the Cascades, we can get a frost anytime of year. Yesterday we had a low of 32 degrees at night even though it was 90 today.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Beautiful garden. You will definitely eat well and healthy this year. Great job and keep up the great work. There is nothing better than a tomato fresh off the vine and on your sandwich 5 minutes later. Enjoy.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250

Nice garden...Mine sure doesn't look like yours or have the variety you've got...but did pick a few cukes today...and I've also got a nice crop of weeds almost ready for harvest.. ;D ..thanks for showing me what it's suppose to look like....

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

But I like melons. :P

Unfortunately, I tilled out half of our Cantalope plants by mistake. (rookie farmer)

We got our garden in late too. Out of three rows of potatoes (planted in the rain), about ten plants came up. A relative served up some new potatoes yesterday,...yum, yum, there were no leftovers.

Everything else is booming,...watermelon, cantalope, beans, corn, tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, peppers, jalapeno, squash, zuchini, lettuce, onions, peas, cucumbers...and more. We planted approx. 80'x80'.

Now I have two tillers, so we can have tiller races in the garden. (if I can get another tiller driver)

I got 'maters and peppers! You can tell we had a lot of rain the night before, everything had mud splashed over them. We've had a lot of rain and cooler temps so far. The extra rain and fast growth cause the tomatoes to crack a little.

Attachments

• Tomatoes.JPG
    Tomatoes.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 490
  • pepper.JPG
    pepper.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 482
  • corn n beans.JPG
    corn n beans.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 468
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the kind words all. Lookin' good excavator! None of the tomatoes are red yet but have a thousand coming on. Checked the cantaloupe last night and have one a little bigger than a golfball.
Uhhh, TT, about those melons............. :love10:

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Thanks pb and mg.

I'm thinking I should have plowed the whole field. The city here just opened a new farmer's market and people are flocking to it.

Good news- Relative offered to give me a rear-tine tiller.

Bad news- I stopped looking for a rear-tine and when the relative brought the tiller, it's a front-tine, and wider than some of my rows. So now I have to run two different front-tine tillers. :D

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Yes, next season. 160' x 160' and me riding a nice 4wd tiller! Maybe even some a/c and a cd player. ;D

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that will be either really living or thats what they call CHEATING! ;D

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great looking gardens folks, I had tough luck with (tomatoes), but will have pic's later of my 'Giant peas', & 'watermelons.

Fossis.................

M

MiniMe

Beautiful garden PB. We used to have a big garden every year and haven't been able to since we moved to this house two years ago Too much shade in the yard. I used to can jars and jars of bread & butter pickles. Really miss those days. Nothing better than home grown!!

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
*Ground Hawk*--*Minelab Quattro*--*Tesoro Tejon*

Thats not a garden,its a farm! really great job as it is a lot of hard work..especially the weeding! I just got a Hula Hoe delivered to Me today & it should help the weeding a lot!! Enjoy the fruits of Your labor :icon_sunny:

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Woohoo! We've got watermelons! There are six foot vines going in all directions. Harvested some green beans, squash, and cukes today. Have many cherry and grape tomatoes ripening.

Wait till I get a pic of my Uncle's Zuchini plants, I couldn't believe it.

So we watered the garden all evening after a week of no rain. As soon as I rolled the hoses up, thunder, lightning, and rain. Not a lot though, so I'd say it was worth it.

It's hard to manage a garden that's 40 miles away.

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2

Nice looking garden Packerbacker.

Have you ever tried the zucchini flowers? Pick them before the zuke starts to form, then dredge them in batter (or, just an egg, then a bread-crumb dip) and fry em up. Better than the zuke's themselves and its a great way to avoid the monster zukes you get as the season goes on and you aren't eating the little ones fast enough.

MP

oldsledz

Apr 7, 2007
Mid MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Tesoro

I have 2 gardens this is the small one it's 5 by 13 feet. It has Tomatoes , Green Beans and Cucumbers across the back.

In front I have Leaf Lettuce , Radishes , Cabbage , Broccoli , Peppers and some flowers.
This is my first time for a small garden I am using a book called square Foot Gardening.
DSC00858.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread