MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

Often people ask why not all gold gives off low tones. :dontknow: Well low tones are only typical with low karat, small gold. Small 10k gold hollow earrings should sound like foil. High 18k-24k, large rings will come in high. Like a dime quarter or half. :icon_scratch:Also the shape matters too, if your signal is a signet ring and has a flat top. However its only 10k it can still sound like a dime because of the shape of the top of the ring. :thumbsup: Metal detectors read a halo, this halo can change depending on the size, shape and Matter. 8-) So gold can come in almost anywhere, depending on the size, shape and karat. :headbang: Hope this helps some. :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mudswat. I water hunt with a Tiger Shark which is single tone, but with lots of nuances to the sound. Small or deeply buried gold sounds like foil or junk (soft squawk or grunt) and big gold sounds like a quarter (a screamer).

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
here's the best analogy for a newbie:

Take a snippet off of an aluminum can (or just take the tab off). Wave it in front of the TID. Reads "tab" or whatever, right? Ok, now wave the entire aluminum can. Reads quarter or half, right? Ok, wait, what changed? In EACH case the composition was the same: "aluminum". So what changed then ? The SIZE.

Same goes for gold. If you get a big enough gold ring, (or a $20 gold piece, or a gold bar, etc...) it will read quite high :) But most gold rings are not that big.

Also note: Gold in and of itself is a high conductor. It's the ALLOYS (10k, 14k, 18k, etc...) that make it be a low conductor (for typical jewelry sizes). If you ever got a 24k gold ring, it would peg up into the penny/dime range, even if a small gold ring.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom in CA has forgotten more than I hope to know!
Recently, I've been testing US gold fractionals on an Etrac and ATPro. The 1/10th oz Eagle confuses the AT. It thinks it's a dime, then a ring? Still, very diggable tones.
The Etrac however, locks in on a steady 12-23 with a wonderful tone.
US detectorists, rarely find 18k or higher purity. Our machines reflect this.
Alloy and size of gold target seem to be problematic.
Great thread!
Peace

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been learning a lot here lately and really appreciate the input. my two gold rings recently found, both rang up on my AT GOLD at 43, the smaller one was 14k, the bigger one was 10k. of course everything else dug up at 43 has been junk. I understand that both size and alloy makeup of the gold makes a difference in how they signal on the detector, thus the wide range of numbers that gold hits under. thanks to all for the info

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most recent gold ring found with my ATP rang up a solid 53 with a high clean tone. In fact it was the exact tone sound I got on the .925 silver ring I found later that day. It was a 10K men's sapphire ring.

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enjoying the thread, thank you Mud(S.W.A.T)

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread! Always looking to learn.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

Often people ask why not all gold gives off low tones. :dontknow: Well low tones are only typical with low karat, small gold. Small 10k gold hollow earrings should sound like foil. High 18k-24k, large rings will come in high. Like a dime quarter or half. :icon_scratch:Also the shape matters too, if your signal is a signet ring and has a flat top. However its only 10k it can still sound like a dime because of the shape of the top of the ring. :thumbsup: Metal detectors read a halo, this halo can change depending on the size, shape and Matter. 8-) So gold can come in almost anywhere, depending on the size, shape and karat. :headbang: Hope this helps some. :notworthy:

I agree. Remember also gold is buried in metal chests, saddle bags, wooden boxes and drums, etc....... Always check all tones. And remember most metal detector detector deeper in AM mode.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this year I was detectin' with a friend new to his ATPro. I advised him to be aware of 50s. Second plug, up jumps a beautiful small 18k ring. It read a steady 52!?
Pulltabs be damned. When swinging an AT, I now dig all reading 40-60.
Good luck
Peace

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found 4 gold rings this year using a Tecknetics Gamma 6000. Two 10k and two 14k. Two with stones, two without stones. Found three of them with 5" DD, and the fourth with 11" DD. They had ID numbers of 57, 58, and two of them 59.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember digging gold with the AT Pro in the 40s. Seemed like about 45.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earlier this year I was detectin' with a friend new to his ATPro. I advised him to be aware of 50s. Second plug, up jumps a beautiful small 18k ring. It read a steady 52!?
Pulltabs be damned. When swinging an AT, I now dig all reading 40-60.
Good luck
Peace

Last gold ring I found was a real nice 10k wedding band. It was a solid 52, same as tabs, nickles, and small bits of can slaw. That was with an ATP.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for viewing and for your replies. :thumbsup:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I would believe that a 53 VDI on the at pro could not be a high tone, but a nice mid tone.

I have a close to pure gold ring (unmarked) that weighs 4.9 grams that hit like a deep quarter. High tone and 88 on the VDI. I also was fortunate enough to find a 24k(?) pendant that hit at 81 and high tone. It is folded in half and weighs 7.4 grams. It looked like a gold nuggett coming out of the hole!

A buddy that swings minelab has a ring marked "9999" that is also pure gold(or close to it) and hits a high tone on both the at pro and his explorer.

A $2.5 US gold coin hits at 57 on the VDI and mid tone. I haven't found one yet.

HH ALL!

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember digging gold with the AT Pro in the 40s. Seemed like about 45.

I dig a ton of those 40's signals with the ATP. Especially the solid ones. No gold on those ones yet only trash. Usually balled tinfoil to be specific. All my gold with ATP so far has been in the 50's. There are a few videos on YouTube showing gold on the ATP in the 40's for sure, in fact one I beleive was 38-39. It sure is tough when you have been in the field for a few hours at a trashy site and there are so many 40's signals to be diligent about digging them all.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would believe that a 53 VDI on the at pro could not be a high tone, but a nice mid tone.

I have a close to pure gold ring (unmarked) that weighs 4.9 grams that hit like a deep quarter. High tone and 88 on the VDI. I also was fortunate enough to find a 24k(?) pendant that hit at 81 and high tone. It is folded in half and weighs 7.4 grams. It looked like a gold nuggett coming out of the hole!

A buddy that swings minelab has a ring marked "9999" that is also pure gold(or close to it) and hits a high tone on both the at pro and his explorer.

A $2.5 US gold coin hits at 57 on the VDI and mid tone. I haven't found one yet.

HH ALL!

Yeah I have always been curious about this (tones) as I have heard this a few times about the ATP. For me, any gold that I have found has hit in the 50's and has been a high tone. In fact it is the same high tone that I get on silver, coins etc.. Nickels on my machine will also hit in the 50's (usually a solid 53) and be a high tone, same as pull tabs.

Mid tones for me have been signals in the 40's, mostly trash like tinfoil. Iron will produce the grunt.

So I am wondering if there is an issue with my machine as it sounds like signals in the 50's on the ATP should be producing a mid tone and not a high tone like I am getting.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found 2 gold rings. both smaller womens rings with stones. One rang up as foil 24 on my Fisher F5. The other a solid nickel on the F2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread