Lets Talk Sand.....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's Talk Sand.....

.......because this summer we have gotten our share of it here on the East Coast. Troughs are filled, sandbars are packed and wider then ever, beach is loaded up. When you look down the beach there's simply nothing to stand out, just a lot of soft flat sand. I battled it for a while and finally resigned to instead of every day, to only "once in a great while". Just looking for some new ideas on how to maybe beat all this soft sand?

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even up here in New York the beaches have been sanded in all summer. I am excited about Fall, and the storms that will soon start to churn up some treasures on our Atlantic beaches. Time to get that cold water gear ready!

MrNelson

May 2, 2012
Fernandina Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Speaking of cold water gear, what would you recommend? I agree with bigscoop, nothing but flat sand to the water on the low minus tide the other night.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speaking of cold water gear, what would you recommend? I agree with bigscoop, nothing but flat sand to the water on the low minus tide the other night.

Beachers here in the Northeast use waders, wetsuits, and drysuits. Last year I was using Reddington "Crosswater" Waders, with two wading belts and insulated guantlet gloves. I was out a couple of times in 27-29 degree weather after storms up to mid-thigh in the water with no problems.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's just about what I would say , also.

Hoping for some storms and winds

Lorraine

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even up here in New York the beaches have been sanded in all summer. I am excited about Fall, and the storms that will soon start to churn up some treasures on our Atlantic beaches. Time to get that cold water gear ready!

I pretty much came to the same conclusion, well, that or dynamite which the authorities obviously frown upon. :laughing7:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best we can hope for is a LOT of snow birds coming early to catch the warm water. Ive already seen RVs starting to roll in sooner than last year. The housing market is still active around me.... hoping its will bring more people in just to look around and spend time on the beach. If the sand dont move...... those recent drops are going to be in the wet and dry sand..... now you are talking competition and lots of it.

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need one or two good blows to set the winter stage. I'm still hopeful we might get at least one to help bring things about a little sooner.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unless it is all from deeper waters
i try to find where that sand came from
usually there will be a few areas where that sand came from
and there will be troughs or cuts
in Mex - my resort had a huge sand bar - I went 100yrds down the beach and found an area that some of that sand came from where a rip tide pushed some of it from south to north
did not get any gold there but did get a fair amount of coins

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly can't explain the obvious lack of targets in the troughs this summer. Yes, there has been a lot of soft sand in them but there has also been "a load" of traffic in them all summer long. The only reason I'm blaming the soft sand is because there has been a complete absence of heavier items such as fishing weights, etc. I rarely see anyone else in these troughs, day or night, and yet finding a coin was becoming a very rare thing. I mean, it's been really barren out there. Even hit it a few times with a borrowed PI with no better results. Only thing I can figure is that all the soft sand and foot traffic and current action has just sucked it down or forced it down too quickly. But this is actually hard for me to believe given the amount of traffic. I'm stumped?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions