Lets talk Wheaties

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
I have members of my Scout troop started on Coin Collecting merit badge. While a collection of just one denomination of US coin is not a requirement it does teach them some basics to get them started. Accordingly I have been taking boxes of rolled cents for the boys to search to get 'in the mood' so to speak. Tonight the oldest found out of a partial box (5 boys looking) was a 1923. Call me what you will but I allow them to keep the cents they find and just cash in the remainder. I know, they could find a 1909 VDB and I'd kick myself, but it's part of the journey/learning experience. Hopefully I can get some of them started on CRH'ing in a modest way.

Rascal

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the copper in a what penny is worth 2.3 cents, so i wouldn't sell for anything under 3 cents a piece, but for me, i don't think it is worth it to sell them for 3c each. remember, most average 10-15 wheats per box... if you think hard about that, you're only making a few cents profit... is it worth it?

Stop stop stop with the worth talk. Everyone keeps acting like they can take a bucket to the local scrap yard and melt a bucket of pennies. Its worth is 1 cent US or what someone will pay for it numeristic value. Any talk of bullion from pennies is alot of "IFs" in the future. So expecting someone to pay like its bullion is a long shot at best. I'm paying 1.5 (well below spot) cents localling for all copper including mixes wheats, canadians, so on sorted and rolled. I buy not with the thought of bullion in mind but that if we go back to the gold/silver/copper standard that zincs will be not be allowed as currency, either locally, federally or both. Also as a nice thing to hand down to my son if he wants to collect later. Anyway point is any talk of making intrinsic profits off the penny need to be scraped (har har) for now. Chances are if the penny is going to be scrapped the government will recall them as they did silver/gold long before they let us melt them down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread