Let's vote for a nickname

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go with EQ. It's what I've been using anyway. In talking about the detector itself, I refer to them as the EQ6, or EQ8. I'm with "vferrari" on this one, NOX= noxious/noxema

I don't think i could call it EQ for the fact that the name its already taken by Design software for quilting. Electric quilt 8 just came out. Also known as EQ8.

Because the Equinox is supposed to make all other detectors obsolete, i suggest we call it the Terminator

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go with EQ. It's what I've been using anyway. In talking about the detector itself, I refer to them as the EQ6, or EQ8. I'm with "vferrari" on this one, NOX= noxious/noxema

Writing that would be ok, but, how would you pronounce it? E Cue? Eck?

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,
I think this name suits the Nox. Minesweeper.

Just wait till till the Deus user hunt along side Nox in old home site.
I have seen enough, I know what will happen.

Minesweeper will pluck high conductors quick out of trash and nails!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,
I think this name suits the Nox. Minesweeper.

Just wait till till the Deus user hunt along side Nox in old home site.
I have seen enough, I know what will happen.

Minesweeper will pluck high conductors quick out of trash and nails!

Personally, I would go hit that site one more time with the Deus elliptical running at 74khz and THEN call it a day. But that’s just me (and Smokey). Killer one, two punch.

Last edited:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I would go hit that site one more time with the Deus elliptical running at 74khz and THEN call it a day. But that’s just me (and Smokey). Killer one, two punch.

yeah right, and do what?
Dig every piece of aluminum out of the yard.
I got better things to do.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah right, and do what?
Dig every piece of aluminum out of the yard.
I got better things to do.

Wow, didn't mean to strike a nerve. Ouch.

I've seen your test run finds. You don't seem to mind digging trash and keepers. Like all of us do. Why is getting rid of the aluminum important? Because, as you well know, it will potentially further unmask keepers.

I bet you will find more keeper targets regardless. Not all keepers are high conductors, as you know. And running the Deus at that frequency and with that smaller coil has a chance to unmask things the Equinox may have missed. Smokey's banner and keeper finds do not lie even if they defy convention because many were recovered using 74 khz (including some deep high conductors in mineralized soil). A frequency far above that which the Equinox operates.

Or, feel free to hit it again with your minesweeper. Bet you will find more keepers. Is that a waste of your time?

Point is, when you have two fast capable detectors, saying I went back and hit my small, trashy site that I cleaned out with the Deus and found more stuff with the Equinox, does not necessarily prove that one detector is better than the other. Targets (desirable and undesirable) are constantly moving around in the ground and unmasking each other in trashy sites. That's why you can keep going back and find more stuff.

I am a big believer in hitting a site with as many diverse detectors that you can. If everyone is hitting it with Deus, hit it with an Equinox. If the Equinox "cleaned up" hit it with a Deus (or an Impact, or an MXT, or an AT Max, or an eTrac, or a CTX, or a Kruzer, or a PI) and reap the rewards of using detectors with different capabilities. The beauty of the Equinox is that it is like 6 or 7 detectors in one with all the modes that span hot to deep.

If my Equinox ever does show up. My attack plan for a site with which I have unlimited or long-term access would be to hit it with most every mode available on the Equinox - that covers the spectrum from small mid-conductor to large high conductor. Get rid of some of the trash and then hit it again with the Deus at very high frequency. Then come back at some later time rinse and repeat, hopefully with the Equinox's 6-inch sniper coil.

But, hey, if you do have better things to do. I said that I would be glad to do the honors. You don't have to waste your time.

P.S. - Didn't take you long to throw the Deus on the ol' scrap heap, lol. [Before you get all huffy n stuff, you know I am just pulling your leg, I know your real true love before the Equinox came along was the Impact]. Which reminds me, about that new Kruzer...hmm. I know you will get around to testing at least one of the detectors from that line, even though the Equinox probably has them beat, you never know where you might find a pleasant surprise capability. As always, look forward to your detailed tests and analysis.

P.P.S. - Oh, and to be clear, do I think the Equinox is better than the Deus? Probably. I need to test the Equinox. But I DO know the Deus will probably be better at 56 khz and 74 khz than the Equinox is at those frequencies. ;) And I sure know which one my arm would rather swing all day.... What I am saying is that I am expecting the Equinox to blow my socks off but I still plan to keep the Deus.

Not sure you are ready to render an opinion yet, TNSS, but do you think the Equinox has obsoleted the Deus?

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how about Cabello?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vlcsnap-4804-06-09-10h08m26s142.png

LoL

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Just don’t write it with a lower case X.
NOx

noun

• oxides of nitrogen, especially as atmospheric pollutants.

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that nicknames make themselves up, and 'Nox seems to be pretty well established already. But only time will tell.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those of you who already have your Equinox... I hope you are enjoying the School of Hard Nox.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread