Lewis and Pranty

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
AZBCE, welcome to the forums and good luck with your project. Are you writing something up on Lewis & Pranty?

Greg, I e-mailed a pic of the MO 1880 census to you, it was a pretty bad copy and I think it will print better for your files as a large JPG. If you can't download it I'll hang it on my google drive and send the link.

Take care, Jim

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jim: Thank you for the offer however by using the information from the record you sent me I was able to find him on the 1880 census and made a copy of it. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mike or anyone else following this thread. Do you have the contact information for Stanley C. Brown? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi: Anything new on Lewis? Greg

Greg, attached is PDF with JW Lewis's family headstones, including his brother in AZ, and his father/mother/grandfather/grandmother in MO.

Also, from comparing information on the headstones and the death certs, it appears the last two death certs I posted on JW and WF Lewis are indeed our guys. They are also added in the PDF so everything is together in one file:

View attachment 1733473

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jim: Good work. That adds some more information to the file on Lewis and Pranty. Do you know if anyone has put together a diagram of the family tree for Lewis and Pranty? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello deducer: No, I do not know where the original Indian Trail or later Horse Trail was located. You might try contacting SRP, BLM, Bureau of Reclamation or try and locate the original survey for the Tonto Trail/Roosevelt Road. That survey might show where the old trail was located. I have no other ideas. Does anybody on the forum have an idea? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
dont know anything about the Lewis and Pranty creek,
or Lewis and Pranty,seemed like some fun research
googled the L P creek,followed the link to hometown
gazetteer, and the GNIS ID link there, see links

reading some of the files @ the GNIS ID, i noticed
Prante, the name gollum mentioned Lois (Prante)
in post #27. in 1970 a Mr. J. L. Prante wants info
on Lewis and Pranty, and a 2nd letter for info on a
Messrs & Lewis and Pranty
not sure if this info is important, just noticed the
Prante name

there are 2 Decision Cards, and 4 Correspondence: &
1 form, i tried to post links, not working,dont know
how to post pdf,2 Correspondence 01/02 Jim Prante
asks for supers name for more info
i screen shot 2 of the Correspondence

if this link dosent work follow from the gazetteer link
http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:30957

https://arizona.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,1,fid,30957,n,lewis and pranty creek.cfm

Correspondence #AZ_30957_003 MAR 27 1970
Screenshot 2019-07-16 at 10.06.45 PM.png

Correspondence #AZ_30957_004 March 16, 1970
Screenshot 2019-07-16 at 10.12.15 PM.png

Last edited:

AZBCE

Greenie
Jul 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!

I wanted to share some info I got from the Gila county historical society. This includes an interview with Carrol Wilbanks and Anna Mae Deming. Two who apparently knew Fred Pranty.

This also includes the article written by his niece in True West magazine.

All who suggest his bones were forgotten in the jail cell. It's quite mysterious and another great ledgend to add to the superstition mountains.

I've got to say, you guys are incredible! Any pointers you can give me to improve my research skills would be great.

Thanks, Kevin A

grave marker.jpg View attachment Pranty 1.pdf View attachment Pranty 2.pdf View attachment Pranty 3.pdf View attachment Pranty 4.pdf View attachment Pranty 5.pdf View attachment Pranty 6.pdf

AZBCE

Greenie
Jul 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AZBCE, welcome to the forums and good luck with your project. Are you writing something up on Lewis & Pranty?

Greg, I e-mailed a pic of the MO 1880 census to you, it was a pretty bad copy and I think it will print better for your files as a large JPG. If you can't download it I'll hang it on my google drive and send the link.

Take care, Jim

Thanks, Jim, I'll be sure to take a look at that! Yes, I'm Writing a paper about him and his life at gun creek. I visited his cabin in the Sierra Ancha mountains and was fascinated. I saw the mine and know there must be some sort of record on him. I've been eyeballing this cabin on my map for a long time. While researching I found Lewis and Pranty Creek. That gave a good idea he was more than just a miner.

The more I dug into it I found evidence that he was a constructor of the fish creek portion of the apache trail. Reading the history and newspaper archives I noticed the Fish Creek portion was the most difficult to complete. Maybe they were foremen?

Anywho, I feel like they should receive more recognition. You'll be able to find the story at www.AZBackcountryExplorers.com

Thanks, Kevin A.

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning AZ: Thank you for another contribution to this thread about Lewis and Pranty. Each post adds another part to their story. I hope some other users of this site will continue to add additional research material to help you out with your project. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mike: A friend of mine was at the Sharlot Hall Library the other and I asked him to look up any papers or files on Lewis, Pranty and Stan Brown. He could not locate any papers or collections pertaining to them. Where did you get the information about "Stan Brown" Papers being donated to Sharlot Hall or would they be under another name? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mike: A friend of mine was at the Sharlot Hall Library the other and I asked him to look up any papers or files on Lewis, Pranty and Stan Brown. He could not locate any papers or collections pertaining to them. Where did you get the information about "Stan Brown" Papers being donated to Sharlot Hall or would they be under another name? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Hey Greg,

Here ya go:

Stan and Ruth Brown Papers, SHM MS-22 1863-2011

Mike

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mike: That should do the trick: I will be in Prescott the first weekend of August for the Westerners Symposium and have set aside a day for research at Sharlot Hall. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

AZBCE

Greenie
Jul 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll be able to find the story at www.AZBackcountryExplorers.com

Hi AZ, I can't find the story on your site.....
can you send me thew link? Thanks!!
Carrol

Hello Carrol,

The story is not complete yet. There are still a few discoveries to be made.

I'm working on locating any documentation to describe what he was doing between 1878 and 1890. Surly it took him a while to travel to Arizona. I'm curious if he made a name for himself between here and Indiana.

Thanks, Kevin

AZBCE

Greenie
Jul 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont know anything about the Lewis and Pranty creek,
or Lewis and Pranty,seemed like some fun research
googled the L P creek,followed the link to hometown
gazetteer, and the GNIS ID link there, see links

reading some of the files @ the GNIS ID, i noticed
Prante, the name gollum mentioned Lois (Prante)
in post #27. in 1970 a Mr. J. L. Prante wants info
on Lewis and Pranty, and a 2nd letter for info on a
Messrs & Lewis and Pranty
not sure if this info is important, just noticed the
Prante name

there are 2 Decision Cards, and 4 Correspondence: &
1 form, i tried to post links, not working,dont know
how to post pdf,2 Correspondence 01/02 Jim Prante
asks for supers name for more info
i screen shot 2 of the Correspondence

if this link dosent work follow from the gazetteer link
http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:30957

https://arizona.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,1,fid,30957,n,lewis and pranty creek.cfm

Correspondence #AZ_30957_003 MAR 27 1970
View attachment 1733679

Correspondence #AZ_30957_004 March 16, 1970
View attachment 1733680

That appears to be a letter to the family of Fred Pranty during the research for the Magazine article in True West magazine.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mike: That should do the trick: I will be in Prescott the first weekend of August for the Westerners Symposium and have set aside a day for research at Sharlot Hall. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

No worries Greg. Any time. As much help as you have given everybody, its the least I can do! LOL

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread