YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Living outside the US certainly has its challenges, but it also has certain definite rewards. One of those is growing your own coffee in the back yard. Here are a few photos of our coffee from blossom to bean.
DSC_0045a.jpg Fertilizing the coffee blossoms.

DSC_0068.jpg Green coffee berries.

DSC_0035.jpg Ripe coffee berries freshly picked, and ready to process.

DSC_0087.jpg The finished product, roasted and ready to grind. With all the work it takes to grow coffee, I don't know why it isn't $100 a pound!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. Never thought a person would grow their own coffee before. Many years ago I would gather pinon nuts and roast them. One time I over roasted them and I thought wow it tastes kinda like coffee and I thought maybe I can make a brew out of over roasted pinon? Well I don't know if I had some original idea or not back then around 1980, but I thought I did. Wasn't but a couple years ago I'm shopping at Costco and I see this.

Attachments

• 91ABciOXThL._SY606_.jpg
    91ABciOXThL._SY606_.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story, nice pics. I bet it tastes great. Congrats.

OP
OP
YumaMarc

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all for the replies and likes. I've found there's a real trick to roasting coffee at home. The big companies have huge roasters that control temperature and time so the beans will all be the same. Most people at home use a pottery roaster, an idea borrowed from the Lenca Maya culture. This is a clay Lenca pottery roaster on a wood-fired "fogon". It works quite well as long as you don't walk away while it's doing its thing.

Too bad about the Piñon Coffee idea. You might have had a great idea if you had a good supply of nuts. But it's never too late. You should try a test market.

DSC_0022_pe1.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that would be one fresh cup of coffee! Thanks for showing us how it's done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread