Life in a Banana Republic - Some rural scenes...when you REALLY want to get away!

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the US people think of Central America as only a hotbed of crime, gangs, homicides, drug trafficking and illegal aliens. That is only a small tip of the iceberg, and is not the real Honduras. Nor are Roatan and the Bay Islands, as seen by most tourists. The other 95% of the country is tranquil, serene, culturally unique and stunningly beautiful.

DSC_0030.jpg Late afternoon on the cobblestone streets of Sabana Grande.

DSC_0045.jpg Entrance to the little Spanish Colonial pueblo of Ojojona.

DSC_0073.jpg View from La Trigra National Park, overlooking the Cantarranas Valley below.

DSC_0075.jpg A little stream coming down from La Tigra into the mining town of San Juancito. I found gold in several places in this stream, but not enough to be worth the effort.

DSC_0108.jpg Near the summit of the Cordillera, about two miles above my house. The mountains in the far distance are in Nicaragua.

DSC_0132.jpg Other side of the Cordillera, heading for Santa Cruz.

DSC_0152.jpg Entrance to La Tigra National Park on the north side. No souvenir shops, no McDonalds, few rules except no cars and respect the environment. Nothing but miles and miles of tranquility. The road is for Park Service vehicles.

DSC_0208_tonemapped.jpg Typical jungle clearing in Intibucá, Honduras. Bananas grow wild everywhere. This is jaguar country!

DSC_0237aa.jpg Rio Gualcarque, Intibucá, Honduras. A lovely and tranquil place sacred to the Rio Blanco Lenca people.

DSC_0241.jpg A photo-art rendition of the little Spanish Colonial pueblo of San Juan de los Flores, also known as Cantarranas.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where are the Bananas ?

nice pics !

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Good gracious! If I weren't here, I might would be there!

When I was in language school in El Paso in 1967, one of the "students" was an Ex-Pat who'd retired in Panama. He had a huge poster sized picture of his Panamanian wife taped to the wall of his room. Oh man she was hairy! But she was mighty danged fine in my book.

If we could go back in time, we'd might have made different choices.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

That 3rd photo is beautiful...wish I was there in person to witness the all of the wonder! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread