Life involves a certain irony - and now, pictures

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
It's officially winter now, with frigid temperatures and a pretty thick covering of snow, so treasure hunting has been suspended. There is reason for optimism, however, as the weather forecast for the next few weeks shows an upward trend in temperature. According to the forecast I just saw, we could be in the high 40's soon!
Over the weekend, it became apparent, in our basement, that something was amiss with our sewer line. We have a grand old maple in the front yard, and the old sewer line running from our house to the street has to sneak past it on the way. The problem is that the line consists of clay pipes with a seam every three feet or so. The maple allows the sewer line to operate, but not without exacting a heavy toll. It's roots, you see, have a nasty habit of penetrating the seams, which eventually keeps the waste from going where it needs to go. This was a problem even before we bought the house; we actually paid for the line to be cleared and were able to view a video image of its interior. Since it was in good shape after that original cleanout, we went ahead with the purchase knowing that the line would require snaking occasionally. That's been about every two years, and it was due. It was no surprise, then, that the tell-tale odor in our basement recently meant that the maple had been at it again! The problem was actually worse this time, as the sewer's contents actually backed up onto a portion of our basement floor >:(! A plumber came and cleared the line, but this time the video showed a veil of roots at every seam, even though he'd broken through each one!
What we're looking at today is some pretty extensive work on the line, which should bring the old line up to code and eliminate the option of maple roots ever again. Where is the irony, you ask? As I stood on a wet floor, with evidence of a sewer backup all around, I noticed several boxes of recently cleaned bottles. So what, you say? These bottles were recently rescued from six different privies; somebody else's sewer line, you might say :wink:. Those "sewer lines" were much more pleasant to work with! Sorry, no pictures with this post ;D.

Attachments

• sewerline 001 (Small).jpg
    sewerline 001 (Small).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,122
  • sewerline 002 (Small).jpg
    sewerline 002 (Small).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,130
Upvote 0

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Life involves a certain irony

HAHA, irony at its best Henry!

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is a kind of "what goes around comes around," I think. :)
I was reading, hoping to see where the old oak had carried an old coin by one of its roots, and you were able to retrieve it.
But, all that happened was, your basement got sprayed.......by a wooden skunk. Better the basement then the living room floor.
Bet you can't wait to get out into the woods again. I do hpe things clear up for you. Happy Hunting, come spring. :thumbsup:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heavy gauge PVC pipe root proof, the January thaw is coming :notworthy:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

maple firewood anyone?

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
did you swing the MD over that freshly dig dirt? no telling what might have been brought up from the depths around that "old" sewer pipe (except for the stuff normally in the pipe of course)

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ummmmmmmmmm

From the land of the Bluenose.....I feel your pain me son as my digging bud Navy Davy had to get his sewer pumped out as it overflowed.....knew the bouy was full of sh&t! % minutes and he was out $375.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: ummmmmmmmmm

leslie(nova scotia) said:
From the land of the Bluenose.....I feel your pain me son as my digging bud Navy Davy had to get his sewer pumped out as it overflowed.....knew the bouy was full of sh&t! % minutes and he was out $375.
You don't feel my pain... I'd love to have gotten away with $375! :'( That sounds like a septic tank.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...one good thing...new dirt! :icon_pirat: :wink:

Nana

.....is that blue glass I see in that pile of dirt?

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nana40 said:
Well...one good thing...new dirt! :icon_pirat: :wink:

Nana

.....is that blue glass I see in that pile of dirt?
New clay! The blue is a little flag that marked the water line. No relics so far!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Looks like your water and gas are right next to your sewer. How nice is that.lol
I've replaced alot of clay pipe before. Its all they really used back then.
Being that its not under slab, i'm guessing the pipe is sdr-35 or sdr-26, either way your problems should be solved as long as they graveled around the pipe real good. 8)

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny Ringo Silver said:
Looks like your water and gas are right next to your sewer. How nice is that.lol
Being that its not under slab, i'm guessing the pipe is sdr-35 or sdr-26, either way your problems should be solved as long as they graveled around the pipe real good. 8)

I just put some sdr 11 under some RR tracks for a fiber line. That is some tough stuff.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem here a few years ago only with a PVC pipe. It was cracked near the clean out and the Maple roots like fine hairs found the way in.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Johnny Ringo Silver said:
Yep, the proximity of the gas and water lines made things a bit more complicated >:(.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread